Weddings ~ by Grace Augustine

photo courtesy of pexels.com
From simple garden ceremonies, to lavish cathedrals, smaller venues, beach weddings, and everything between, you have to admit, everyone loves a wedding. We all hope it will be a happy ever after moment for those involved. But, man, do
they take a lot of work.


photo courtesy of pexels.com
I think back to the wedding of Diana and Prince Charles (yes, I was one who got up early to watch it) and all of the hoopla associated with it, as well as all of the flowers! It would have been such fun and such an honor to have worked on that wedding. Or even the more recent wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan.

Some say the dress makes the wedding. Others say the venue. For me...it's the flowers


photo courtesy of House of Flowers
For nearly thirty years I worked as a floral designer. It seemed holidays never ended. Hot on the heels of Christmas was Valentine's Day. Following would be Easter, confirmation, prom, graduation, and Memorial Day. Then...June Weddings.
I was employed by 6 different floral shops in 3 different towns in those thirty years. In each of the shops my job, when it came to weddings, was corsages and boutonnieres.  


personal photo
Whether a wrist corsage for mothers, a pin on for grandma, or something stylish for the groom and his attendants, I enjoyed each one I made. That is something about the floral industry, no matter how hard you try to replicate what you do, it never turns out. Each piece is as unique as the person it's made for.

I was fortunate to work with two of the top wedding designers in Eastern Iowa... Dawn Gritton, owner of Rustic & Glam Designs and Jolene Driscoll, owner of House of Flowers. Their gift of design and eye for arrangements humbled me. As I sat with a roll of floral tape on my pinkie, stem wrapping the corsages, I watched as they fashioned, in their hand, a one of a kind keepsake bridal bouquet.


photo courtesy of Rustic & Glam Designs
It takes hours to do the flowers for a wedding...corsages, boutonnieres, attendant bouquets, bridal bouquet, cake flowers, and event decorations. And, it all starts with the minimum 2-3 hour consultation with the bride to choose just the perfect flowers that will match her wedding colors.



photo courtesy of Rustic & Glam Designs
The next time you attend a wedding, take a moment to notice the arrangements at the front of the church, the garland around the outdoor gazebo, the cake flowers, and the wedding party flowers. Smile and know that somewhere some florist spent the better part of a day and night putting their heart and soul into what you're seeing to ensure the bride has a beautiful touch of flowers for her special day.

To find out more about these flower shops, please visit 
Rustic & Glam Designs
House of Flowers

To read more of my blog posts, please click on my MEMBER PAGE

1 comment:

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...