Start All Over Again ~ by Linda Boulanger



The beginning of a new year is always a great time to start fresh. We come out of a festive season, sometimes after time off from work, put up the decorations, and dive in. But it’s also a great time to remind us that even if we’ve fallen short of our goals (whether self-imposed or mandated by others), we can do as the old song says and pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start all over again. No matter how many times you fall, you don’t have to change that first “I” to an “i” until you quit trying.

As long as I can remember, I’ve wanted to be an author: way before I knew anything about cover design and formatting, before Amazon and others opened the doors to individuals instead of just the big publishing houses... Even back when I thought you just sat down and wrote out a story and your book was done. I’ve always had stories in my head that I wanted to share with the world.


But it’s hard! It’s work! It takes dedication and self-discipline… two things that are often hard to come by when it concerns going after our dreams. And sometimes even when we set goals for ourselves, we find, like I did, that just three days into a new year, we’ve already messed up and missed our goal.

I set a lofty goal for myself. It isn’t a lot according to what many authors write, but I wanted something doable for me. I wanted to make sure I committed 1,000 words to the page each day for five days a week. Day 1 was picture perfect. I set up my book just like I like them, and started writing. Day 2 ended with just over 2,000 words total, which meant I had exceeded my goal for those two days. Yay! Then Day 3 hit and at 9 p.m. I realized I hadn't even opened my story.

For a moment, I started to doubt myself and my abilities to truly make 2019 the year that I published the books I'd set as my goal. I started to wonder whether my goals were too lofty… and that’s where I stopped myself. I told myself that not only am I the author of written words, but I am also the author of my own story. By not quitting, I don’t fail.

I think that is something we need to remember--no matter what we’re doing or what dreams we’re pursuing, as long as we don’t quit, we have the power.

Today, I have plans. I have cover designs to complete, I plan to take my four kids to the local ice-skating rink before it closes for the season, and I am going to write. One thousand words. Maybe more, if I can. And if I fall short? Tomorrow is a new day. I pick myself up, dust myself off, and start all over again.

So, what are your plans? What goals have you set for this new year? Whatever they are, I encourage you to remember that dreams don’t have an expiration date. Even if you fall short one day, there’s always the next. Take a deep breath, spread your wings, and try again. Don’t let anyone stand in your way… even yourself.





8 comments:

  1. That is so true, Linda. If we quit, we don't achieve what we set out to do...and that applies to any area in our. Thanks for sharing your goals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tell my kids all the time that we can't go back, only forward. We have to learn from the past and move on, doing the best we can. As long as we don't stop, we win!

      Delete
  2. Time passes us by so fast, especially during the holidays. It's good to make goals but for yourself. I make a small goal and set it for a certain amount of time and when you have met that goal make another goal and maybe increase your time line for it. This way your not trying to play beat the clock everyday. This is what works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely, Jennifer! We have to find and do what works best for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda - I like that you set out to make your daily goals doable. I've taken to weekly goals as a way to give myself days off from writing when I just can't get to it because life happens. My goal for 2019 is to complete the first draft of a full length historical novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doability for us -- individually -- is the key, I would say. We can't compare ourselves to anyone else, and we have to be willing to tweak those goals as we go along. I'll be on the lookout for your historical novel!

      Delete
  5. I agree with you, Linda. It's only considered failure if you give up before you're meant to.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...