SERIOUSLY, SERIES ~ Laurie Schnebly Campbell


Would you ever consider writing a series?


1294-a-stack-of-colored-books-pv.jpg
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/1294
Seriously, it’s hard enough to write the first book – why on earth would you want to write two more? Or (gasp) five more? Or (clutch your chest and stagger) an open-ended series that lasts for 10, 25 or even 50 books?

Well, there are people who do it and love it. Which is lucky for readers who love series...and there are a lot of ‘em!


THE BEST OF SERIES

After all, we each have our favorite series. More likely, we each have our favorite six or eight series -- of which some may be relatively obscure and others are followed by millions of readers. While the less celebrated ones can be fabulous, those ranked as favorites tend to become bestsellers simply from word-of-mouth.

15139-illustration-of-a-calendar-pv.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/15139
Because, really, who HASN’T heard of Harry Potter? Stephanie Plum? James Bond? Katniss Everdeen? Eve Dallas and Roarke? Whether or not you’ve read their series, you very likely know something about ‘em...whether it’s just “yeah, I’ve seen those books” or “the next title is due out in __ weeks.”

What makes these series so popular?

There aren’t QUITE as many opinions as there are readers for each series, but most fans agree on at least some of what they especially like. The characters. The plots. The setting. The suspense. The humor. The drama. The voice.


Yet those are the same things readers love about stand-alone books, as well. So why do the series books tend to rank higher on the bestseller lists?


17564-illustration-of-a-first-place-ribbon-pv.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/17564
It’s because there’s strength in numbers. If a reader can choose one fabulous stand-alone title or one fabulous series of books, they’re more likely to choose what offers them more hours of enjoyment. Same as choosing an exquisite piece of sushi or an exquisite five-course dinner, when the quality is good either way most people tend to go for quantity.

But does that mean you want to write a series?

Well, there are some advantages. And some disadvantages. Which speak more loudly to you?

WHY TO WRITE A SERIES

7406-illustration-of-a-stack-of-books-and-reading-glasses-pv-1.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/7406

If you have a story that’s just too big to contain in a single book, a series gives you the freedom to provide all the fascinating details and plot twists and character development that you’d have to leave out if the story had to be confined in a shorter space.

We already know, readers love series. They’ll happily grab Book Three or Book Twelve as soon as it comes out, whereas before buying a stand-alone they might need a bit more persuasion that this IS a book they’ll enjoy. Once they’ve committed to a series, they’re likely to stay on board.

Setting and character development are easier when your series features the same characters in the same place. Sure, it’s the same amount of work up front establishing who & when & where these people are, but once you’ve figured that out you don’t need to repeat the same amount of work for subsequent titles.

WHY TO AVOID A SERIES

8295-illustration-of-an-open-book-pv.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/8295


It may take more time than you have (or want) to invest. If your schedule doesn’t allow for much writing, you might rather use what few hours you DO have to create a book that can stand alone and be enjoyed as is -- without needing additional books to support the overall story arc.


If you love the adventure of creating new people and new worlds and new situations with every book, you might feel too constrained by a series. Why commit to something that’ll leave you bored and frustrated while readers are demanding more of the same?

Readers have higher expectations of a series. If the shop sign has changed color or the character’s motivation seems to have shifted between Book Two and Book Three, they’ll complain about it. They want things to stay the same, but they don’t want TOO much repetition...which is a tricky balance.

So, weighing the pros and cons, suppose you’re thinking about a series. That leads us right into: 


14189-illustration-of-a-pencil-pv.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/14189
WHAT TO CONSIDER

Before embarking on a series, there are several issues to address besides the fundamental one of “do I really want to do this?”


Type: What kind of series will this be? Is it suited for the genre you write?

Arc: Along with the individual story arc for each book, what will your series arc be?

Character/s: If there’s a main character, will this person be static or dynamic? How about the secondaries?
1063-blue-clock-illustration-pv.jpg
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/1063

Exposition: How will you keep long-term readers engaged without confusing the newcomers?

Time: How much time can you commit?


Style: Will this be first or third-person? What will the books have in common? What will make each story different?

Evolution: How long should this series last? How can you keep it fresh for you AND your readers?

Those are just a few of the things to consider, and they lead into

THE PRIZE QUESTION
2045-illustration-of-mouse-on-question-mark-pv.png
http://www.freestockphotos.biz/stockphoto/2045
What makes you decide you DO or DON’T want to write a series? Or if you’re not a writer, what makes you decide you do or don’t want to read a series?

Someone who answers will win free registration to my class on “Writing A Series,” which will be held from June 1-12 at https://groups.io/g/Series with insights on all the issues above.
I can’t wait to see what you say!
LaurieSchnebly-206x300.jpg

After winning Romantic Times‘ “Best Special Edition of the Year” over Nora Roberts, Laurie Schnebly Campbell discovered she loved teaching every bit as much as writing...if not more. Since then she’s taught online and live workshops for writers from London and Los Angeles to New Zealand and New York, and keeps a special section of her bookshelves for people who’ve developed that particular novel in her classes. With 43 titles there so far, she’s always hoping for more.

29 comments:

  1. Hi, Laurie. I always think I'll write a series, but I haven't planned one out properly yet. And I'm a pretty slow writer and it seems books in a series should be published closer together. Thanks for sharing with us today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jacquolyn, you're right about the advantages of publishing a series closer together. Some writers hold onto the first few books until they've completed the entire set, but it's hard to wait THAT long before releasing your wonderful work into the world!

      Delete
  2. Loved this post, Laurie. I has me both wanting to reread some of my favorite series and wanting to finish writing one I started.

    What made me decide to write a series was a pair of secondary characters that stole my heart. As I was writing the first story, which was supposed to be a standalone, this other couple just took on their own life and I couldn't wait to tell their story. And so it began. :-) My stand alone will now grow up to be part of a four-book series...with the help of your writing class next month (which I've already signed up for and can't wait to join!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, it's wonderful that your couple stole your heart -- what a kick that the single book has now become four! And I'm delighted at having figured out how the "reply" system works after getting a couple of false starts...even MORE delighted that I'll get to see your series in action soon. :)

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post. I always learn so much from your classes and blog posts. I’ve always wanted to write a series. Even with my short stories I tend to continue to think of the characters lives and what they’re doing now (is that weird?) I think the idea of tackling a series, for me, is a tad overwhelming since I’m more of a write by the seat of my pants verses plotting. I know that a plot doesn’t tie you in but I don’t know it just makes me feel so uninspired. Like I know it’s just a map and you can choose different paths to get to the destination but the thrill of the unknown for me just vanishes. I really need to work on that *adds to ever growing work on list*

    I prefer reading series because it really transports me into the authors world. I am one of those readers that absolutely loses time when I’m reading. It is a true escape, which during the pandemic has been a total Godsend for me.

    I’m sure your class will be phenomenal as the ones I’ve taken in the past. You’re a great teacher with a wonderful sense of humor. I don’t think I’ve ever had a teacher be so quick to answer my endless questions and truly wanted me to fully grasp the subject matter.

    ~Margie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie, it's wonderful that your characters continue to live and evolve even after their short story reaches The End...thinking about fictional people in that context means they really have come to life in the best way. And HURRAY for books during the pandemic...Godsend is exactly the right word!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love creating or observing consistent change over time. I'd want to write or read a series to find out how the characters develop, consistent with their own evolving principles and what they take from their learning experiences. I like more of the same people, but not always more of the same personalities. Life changes people, ideally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, good point about the same people not necessarily remaining the same personalities -- they can evolve pretty dramatically over the course of a single book, but giving them a series allows a whole lot more time for change to come about more the way it does in real life, bit by hard-won bit.

      Delete
  7. I'm currently working on an open-ended mystery series. Certainly, mysteries are known for series, some continue for years. I have heard authors getting tired of their series and characters and then start new ones. I like exploring the different aspects of the sleuth but I am changing the location, similar to Nevada Barr. I hope to help people understand more about engineers and what they do and how they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just noticed my post above didn't list my name; Laurie Dennis.

      Delete
    2. Laurie, once you mentioned engineers I figured it HAD to be you -- you're still the only engineer/novelist I've ever come across! And the idea of moving the same character from place to place is wonderful; I like how credibly Nevada Barr brings it about and an engineer has just as many reasons to go on the road. :)

      Delete
  8. I always read series that have strong characters I'm invested in. Not just the main, but the secondaries as well. I have to want to stay in that world. So, I figure that would be the most important thing for me to focus on if writing one. If I had characters and a world I loved, then I'd need to make a series with them. I always feel like with a fantasy, a series is almost needed because the worlds are so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda, you're right about how the secondary characters can be as big an incentive to stay involved as the main characters -- you know a series is really WORKING when people feel like the minor players are every big as big a part of their family as majors. In fact, there's a whole section JUST about casting secondaries!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laurie. I love series. There's nothing like curling up with a familiar character (or cast of characters), or revisiting a particular world or setting. With crime/thriller series, it's the protagonist to whom I get attached (e.g. Connelly's Harry Bosch, Gardner's D.D Warren, Castillo's Kate Burkholder). With romance series, I often grow as fond of the setting, usually a small town or community, as I do of the characters, probably because the protagonists change from book to book (though remain part of the broader cast), while the world they inhabit remains comfortingly familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ange, that's a great distinction between the value of familiar protagonists AND familiar settings, because it's always disconcerting when a character we're used to seeing in a particular place suddenly gets up and moves across the country. Sure, they're still the same person doing the same kind of work, but...but...

      Delete
  11. Welcome, Laurie! We're so glad to have you here. I love writing series. You are so right, they do take a lot more planning. My series bible is currently 2 large 3-ring binders full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne, how nice to see your name! And, wow, two binders is an impressive series bible indeed -- I bet that'd be an enormously popular raffle prize (even if you awarded only a portion of it) among fans once you're wrapping up the series. Can't you imagine the thrill of seeing "how the author DID it" ?

      Delete
  12. How wonderful having you as our guest today! Such wonderful wisdom for authors and readers. My first published book was book one of a seven book series. Without my outlines, timelines, and character profile notebooks, I'd have been lost. Looking forward to your next visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, starting your career wit a seven-book series is amazing! The most I've ever heard of anyone doing as a debut was six, and even THAT bowled me over...so now there's a whole new standard of excellence. As for next visit in late August, I'm looking forward to it too. :)

      Delete
  13. I have ideas for both - some that are really single books, and some that would definitely be series - and it really depends on whether the inspiration for the project. For example, I have a hero-vs-dragon subversion that would be a single book, but a dark fantasy character-based story that really ought to be a trilogy. And meanwhile, I keep putting up little snippets of a concept built around the sole survivor of the group of noble heroes who defeated the Dark Lord and is now wandering around in the aftermath with a bad case of PTSD -- which isn't really either; in fact, if I wanted to clean it up and expand it I think it would basically be a short-story collection with the potential for a couple of novellas, not unlike the original Conan stories were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, that's wonderful versatility. Just this morning I was talking about how authors who are equally comfortable in more than one area -- whether that's genre, medium, or length of story arc -- are guaranteed to NEVER be boring, because they're always exploring new worlds. So you'll keep your readers very happy!

      Delete
  14. Thanks to everybody who dropped by -- you already know what a treat it is to hang out with creative people, right? :)

    I fed the commenter numbers into random-dot-org which generated #7, so congratulations to Angela for winning free registration to "Writing A Series" -- just contact me via the class link up in the text and we'll get you set up.

    And thanks to Jacquolyn for the invitation to visit...I'm already looking forward to next time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations Angela! You lucky girl. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats Angela. Enjoy the class.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Late to the game, here, but I love Laurie's classes, especially anything to do with plotting, and planning a series needs plotting. I like writing series so that I can spend more time in a world and with characters I love. Also to build a readership and increase interest in future releases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurel, your books are a great example of stand-alone romances contained in a series world...we get to see people we've met in previous books either living happily ever after or launching their own new relationship, and that's really the best of each!

      Delete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...