Amish Country ~ by Darlene Kuncytes

Last month I shared a bit about the city I call home – Cleveland.

This month I wanted to share a place that I truly love – pretty much right in my own back yard.

Holmes County, Ohio – or as we Ohioans call it, Amish country!


I have lived in Ohio my entire life and had no idea what a wonderful place was just a little over an hour and a half from me!

Years ago, I was invited to a weekend up in Holmes County by some friends, and as someone who is always up for an adventure, I of course, said sure! Count me in. I was positively blown away! It was amazing! Like nothing I had ever seen before.
Homespun Heaven!

There is Sugarcreek. Walnut Creek, Berlin and Guggisburg - all within minutes from each other! There are two flea markets that are filled with the most fabulous vendors. Candles, quilts, kitchen gadgets, …the list goes on and on!



There are cheese markets that will make your head spin with all the delicious choices that they offer.


There are farmers markets and bakeries! And restaurants that have the most unbelievable broasted chicken!
I love going there a few times a year and just soaking up the culture and food they offer. There is beautiful hand-made furniture that is beyond breath-taking.

I’ve been going there for probably fifteen years now and I STILL don’t think I’ve seen everything!

And fall!

Oh, the colors of the valleys. The vibrant reds, golds, oranges and yellows! People come from all over to experience and enjoy it!


I love hitting the open markets for my fall plants. The mums, home grown, are absolutely gorgeous.

It’s a great place to escape for a day, or overnight.

My mother loved going there, and my sister and I always made it a point to take her at least once every year. It was a special time for us. With loads of laughter and over-eating! Lolol

We would go with friends and family, and laugh until our sides hurt, and I treasure those memories now that she is no longer with us. I still smile every time we travel there, remembering them with such love.

It’s a place of simple pleasures that should be experienced by everyone. It’s just that beautiful.

Thank you for taking the time this month to read about a place that has a special meaning to me. I can’t wait to go again and will for many years to come.


Stay safe!
Dar

5 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun. If I ever get out your way, you must play tour guide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a heartbeat!! I would LOVE to take you there! I know you would love it!

      Delete
  2. I loved our trip out to AC last fall!!!
    And the goat's milk soap I bought was amazing.
    And, yes, Grace- one day, we will all get to be together!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love places like that. Pure heaven!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love visiting Amish country. There's a place in Missouri that sounds similar. The food is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...