Oh the Things We See ~ by Grace Augustine

I've been fortunate to live in three different states--Montana, Oregon, and Iowa. They are so very different! From the landscape to the people, each has its own charm and uniqueness.
Copyright: Abbi Fetters

When I was a young adult living in Cut Bank, Montana, where I'd lived from 6th grade until I moved to Oregon in 1976, I often went for walks around the town. At that time, Main Street (US Hwy 2) was thriving. All of the storefronts were full. We had a beautiful city park, swimming pool, many architecturally interesting churches, and a variety of other things that made Cut Bank, well, Cut Bank. One of them was Tank Hill. 

copyright: Barbara Gerard-Mitchell

What is Tank Hill, you ask? Well, Cut Bank was a goldmine of oil and natural gas in the 60's and 70's. The rich crude aroma filled your nostrils daily. Phillips 66, Conoco, and Texaco were only a few of the corporations who had "tanks" on the hill. I lived in a house at the foot of that hill for a long time.

copyright: Josh Cramer 2019
I moved to the North side of town to the mobile home park in 1975. The stunning view out my front door was of Chief Mountain and the Rockies. Mind you, they were a forty-five minute drive away, but they were visible. I remember sitting on the front steps in the summer with an iced tea in hand, watching the storms move across the mountains into the valley and soon to our town.

copyright: Deposit Photos
copyright: Deposit photos
Moving to Portland, Oregon, known as The City of Roses, was one
copyright: Deposit Photos
of the best decisions I've made. It, too, is a city of many things--China Town, Pittock Mansion, OMSI, International Rose Test Garden, The Japanese Gardens, Jantzen Sportswear, Saturday Market. Too many wonderful places to mention.  
Mt. Hood was visible from every point in the city and the ever popular Multnomah Falls and Columbia River were a short drive North of where I worked.

copyright: Deposit Photos
In 1981 I left all of that behind and moved to the Des Moines, Iowa area. Iowa is a slower pace, even though two major interstates intersect in the middle of the state--I35 going north/south and I80 going east/west.

copyright: Deposit Photos
Iowa has it's own charm. The rolling plains of NW Iowa lead to wind farms, larger cities, corn and soybean farms, and now many vineyards and wineries. Iowa is best known for the Amana Colonies and the Amana (now Whirlpool) appliances headquarters.

copyright: Grace Augustine
The point to my post today is that there are so many things around us to be seen and appreciated when we open our eyes and look. Traveling by vehicle or on foot, one can find joy in the colors of the flowers and trees, sculptures that are in the oddest of places, and national monuments that trigger lessons from history.

What will you see today?

To read my other blog posts or listen to podcast interviews, please visit my MEMBER PAGE



3 comments:

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...