Why I Love Writing Medieval Romance ~ by Mary Morgan

I’ve often been asked this question, “Why Medieval romance? Why not Regency, Victorian, or Western?” In truth, I love them all, but my heart belongs to one. It started when my fingers opened a book about the great Irish King, Brian Boru (941-1014A.D.). His story is legendary, especially with the people of Ireland. King Brian led the Irish to the peak of their Golden Age—from poetry, arts, saints, and scholars. A spark ignited within my soul for more. 


I sought out tales of knights in shining armor and folk heroes,delving into a life teeming with richness, though at times harsh and violent. Yet it wasn’t until I devoured the history of Brian Boru that I became immersed in medieval life. From there, I treasured tales of life in castles, traveling on horseback, studying foods and herbs. My list is endless and always growing on medieval ways. Yes, there are even days when I long to travel back in time and explore the history, lore, and beliefs.



When I finally took my first trip to Scotland sixteen years ago, the birth of a series—the Dragon Knights was born. I was sitting on a boulder in the Highlands surrounded by the magic and the mists of the land. However, on the second half of my trip, I visited Ireland. As I wandered the soft rolling hills in various shades of green, the land spoke to my soul and urged me to place the Dragon Knights here, too. It would be several more years before I decided on both countries--Scotland and Ireland--as part of my stories. A perfect solution to a problem I had been debating on for the Dragon Knights.

Therefore, when it came time to pen these stories, it only made sense for me to place them all in a medieval setting. One might say I live vicariously through my characters. It’s a love affair with all things medieval. And in finding my own knight in shining armor (happily married for 36 years), I shall always weave a tale with a “happy ever after” ending.

Award-winning Celtic paranormal and fantasy romance author,
Author Mary Morgan
Mary Morgan, resides in Northern California with her own knight in shining armor. However, during her travels to Scotland, England, and Ireland, she left a part of her soul in one of these countries and vows to return.

Mary's passion for books started at an early age along with an overactive imagination. Inspired by her love for history and ancient Celtic mythology, her tales are filled with powerful warriors, brave women, magic, and romance. It wasn't until the closure of Borders Books where Mary worked that she found her true calling by writing romance. Now, the worlds she created in her mind are coming to life within her stories.

If you enjoy history, tortured heroes, and a wee bit of magic, then time-travel within the pages of her books. You can contact Mary through one of the links below.



8 comments:

  1. Delighted to be on your blog today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing about your 'introduction' to medieval stories and medieval romance. Your books certainly reflect your knowledge and fascination--they are just terrific!! Continued best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by, Barbara, and for your kind words about my stories. Some may call part of the medieval time-period the "Dark Ages," but I consider it a fascinating and unique period.

      Delete
    2. Very interesting story, Mary, about how you got into medieval literature and journeyed to Scotland and England, which led to your beautiful writing today.

      Delete
  3. I've often stated I was born in the wrong century, Melody. :) Often times, I feel lost in this current one. At least with my writing I can pretend I'm there for a while.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your stories. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the simplicity and possibilities for stories in "Give me a Knight, Castle, and a Quest." Thanks for sharing the inspiration for your settings.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...