Santa Fascination ~ Jacquolyn McMurray



For as long as I can remember, I’ve been fascinated with Santa Claus. As a youngster, I was sure I saw the reindeer pulling Santa’s sleigh across the sky and heard them as they pranced on our roof. We siblings would spend hours with the Sears Roebuck and J.C. Penny Christmas catalogs to reference the gifts we wanted Santa to bring. 

Annie Spratt on Unsplash




All seven of we kids knew not to ask for extravagant gifts. We weren’t a wealthy family, but our mother managed to make Christmas morning a magical event and selflessly gave the credit to Santa for the multitude of gifts we received.  





The origin of Santa goes back to the 3rd century in modern-day Turkey where St. Nicholas was known as the patron saint of children. Legend tells us St. Nicholas was born into wealth, but gave it all away. He spent his life helping the poor and sick. Over centuries, and across cultures, St. Nicholas took on many manifestations, but always maintained the persona of kindness and giving.  


Dutch immigrants are credited with introducing St. Nicholas to the United States in 1773 when they gathered on the anniversary of the saint’s death. A more modern version of St. Nicholas was immortalized in 1822 with Clement Clarke Moore’s poem, “An Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas,” later known as the iconic “’Twas the Night Before Christmas.” Through that poem, the magical abilities of Santa and his reindeer were imprinted on our minds.

I’m sure I inherited my love of all things Santa from my mother. One of her favorite movies was Miracle on 34th Street. I still prefer the 1947 original version featuring the young Natalie Wood.


It’s no surprise that I collect Santa Clauses. I often buy an ornament when I travel, and friends and family give me Santa themed gifts.  


Each piece in my collection holds a memory, like the ornaments from my sisters--reminders of a shared trip, our love of chocolate, and a Santa bearing gifts. They all make me smile.
                                                                                                                     
                                    
As much as I love all the various pieces in my collection, the Santa that brings back memories of my mom is one of my favorites.

Back in the day when our mother was still living, we four sisters took mom on a road trip from our home town of Tama, Iowa to Eureka Springs, Arkansas

We stayed in a bed and breakfast where we staged photo shoots with mom as the star. She was always such a good sport and always up for any activity we proposed. She readily played along with our antics-- the sillier the better.

The Victorian cottage we rented had a pink velvet settee—the perfect prop for our photos. Mom donned a turquoise satin bathrobe and a lampshade for a hat. My sisters fed her grapes as if she were the Queen of Sheba while I snapped photos.  


At the Silver Dollar City amusement park in Branson, Missouri, we pushed mom around in a wheelchair so that she would have the stamina to spend the day in the park. She loved the water rides and the live shows. She clapped her hands to the music and applauded heartily.

I remember she spent quite a long time choosing just the right souvenir. She settled on a wire-wrapped ring. She wore that ring for years after the trip. I hope when she looked at it that it gave her pleasure.

I bought my Father Frost ornament on that trip. And every Christmas when I go through my decorations, I look at Father Frost's kind eyes and rosy cheeks and think of mom and my sisters and give thanks that we had that trip together. 









6 comments:

  1. Your Father Frost ornament is gorgeous! What wonderful memories from the trip with your mother! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss mom, especially at Christmas time. I'm blessed to have so many warm memories of her.

      Delete
  2. Lovely memories of your mom. And, I love Miracle on 34th St, too. Both the Natalie Wood and Mara Wilson versions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate to have so many warm memories of mom. She was at her best at Christmas time.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Jacquolyn! I collect Santas too. And I just love your collection. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanne - I'm just laughing that you also collect Santas, Joanne. Birds of a feather. Are you sure we aren't sisters?

      Delete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...