Writing--My Retirement Plan

Writing--My Retirement Plan~by Lexa Fisher
(and a dirty little secret)




Several years ago I began contemplating how I could keep my brain active after retirement, which is still a few years away. It had to be something challenging, something that would inspire me to continue learning. I landed on writing--a topic about which I knew nothing. It seemed like the perfect answer, and one that would keep me mentally active for years.

Not being a procrastinator, ten years ahead of my planned retirement date I bravely enrolled in a popular fiction writing class at the University of Washington. The classes were well organized and the instructor incorporated many examples to illustrate the lessons. 

Photo by Amy Hirschi on Unsplash

Then came the anxiously awaited day for individual consultations on our projects. I found out that I was writing romance! Now here's the Dirty Little Secret--I'd never read a romance book in my life. At the time, my library consisted primarily of cozy mysteries, and that's what I thought I was writing. The story I worked on during class had a man and a woman, and a mystery for them to solve. And they fell in love. 

To prove her point that it was a romance, the instructor asked if it would be the same story without their relationship. My throat constricted and my voice quavered as I replied, "No, they have to find everlasting happiness as soul mates." My instructor just smiled.

Photo by Laura Ockel on Unsplash
Well, if I was writing romance, it was time to find a romance story to read. I soon picked up my first romance and haven't stopped writing or reading this genre. It's uplifting, and whether it is sweet romance (nothing past "second base"), paranormal, historical, or other romance sub-genres, there is always a happy ending. Heroine and hero struggle against the odds (and maybe solve a mystery along the way), and they always come out stronger together.

My instructor also urged me to look into Romance Writers of America, RWA. I soon joined a local RWA chapter and several online chapters. There are ample opportunities to continue learning about the craft at the annual RWA meetings, monthly meetings of my local chapter, and regular online classes offered through RWA and the online chapters. I've found the fulfilling mental challenge I wanted, and made many new friends.

Mysteries still appeal to me, and I can't help but incorporate a mystery in most of the stories that I write. After all, isn't love the greatest mystery?


Photo by Alejandra Quiroz on Unsplash



To view more posts, visit Lexa's Member Page










3 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Lexa. And yes, Love is the biggest mystery of all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made the decision to write, Lexa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Lexa. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...