An Extra Special Cover Design ~ by Linda Boulanger


Last month, I talked a bit about the process that goes into making a book cover fit the story and the personality of the author, an idea provided by one of my author group members. Chris also asked if I had a favorite and why it was my favorite. That has to be one of the hardest questions I am ever asked. Honestly, I love each cover I design. As much as the books are the author’s baby and a part of them, I feel the same way about the covers, so it’s much like choosing a favorite child when they are all different and special in their own way. It’s nearly impossible!

There is one cover, however, that changed a lot of things for me. It’s Julia Mills’ For the Love of Her Dragon. I can’t really tell you what happened. If you read my last blog post, you might remember me mentioning that I have to have inspiration for my designs. This cover was no exception, but for whatever reason, during the design process for For the Love of Her Dragon, something just clicked and I knew it was special. It felt magical, I was excited about it, and I knew this cover was going places.

It did, winning me an official RONE for the Best Paranormal Cover in 2015.


I’ve had my share of award-winning covers, and have also had other covers as finalists in the RONE Awards, but this one earned my first Winner’s Badge and a beautiful cut-glass trophy. Better than that, I felt this cover helped to raise my confidence level and to increase my skills as a designer. It’s one that I can look at still after almost four years and feel that same giddiness I felt the day I designed it.


3 comments:

  1. Linda, your work far surpasses any I've seen and I'm so glad our paths have crossed. I'm very proud of the covers you've done for me and shout your talent to the masses! Grateful you are part of our eclectic group of creatives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - You are a truly talented cover designer. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you create magic in your covers and they come to life. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...