Sydney's Garden ~ by Darlene Kuncytes

My Sydney

A little over a week ago, I had to say goodbye to one of my beloved fur babies. My Sydney. I have had to do this over the years, and it’s always one of the hardest things to do, but this time hit me particularly hard. I love all my babies. They are my children, but Sydney was special. My Syd was absolutely the gentlest, most loving, submissive dog I have ever had. All she ever wanted out of life was to love and be loved. Well, that and food. LOL My Syders did love to eat!
     There was not a single person or animal that she didn’t love, and was always the first to get right in there with kisses and pleads for belly rubs from whoever came through the door.
     I adopted a puppy-mill survivor years ago, and Syd was there to snuggle up to, and help Huny-gurl adjust to her new life away from the torture and abuse of the mill owners. She helped show Huny that not all humans are disgusting horrible abusers, and these two girls loved each other so much. They would wake up in the mornings and give each other kisses before we started our day.
     Huny is adjusting, but I find myself struggling a bit with this loss. I am blessed to have an amazing support group. Two of my heart squad sisters were there when I needed them most. They insisted on coming over for hugs and even brought over dinner and a beautiful rose bush the night we lost her.
     So, I decided that I would remember my baby in a way of love and beauty. I made her a garden.
     Going with my sister, who has always said that Syd was her favorite and wasn’t afraid to admit it, to pick out the flowers I would plant, and the paw print wind chime and other small memorials was so therapeutic.
     I’m not saying that I wasn’t a blubbering mess when I read the beautiful words of love written on the wind chimes about losing a cherished pet. I’m fairly sure the people in the store made it a point to steer clear of me at that moment. Lol
     But... I came home. I planted. I decorated. I cried. I even put four light up paw prints in the stones at the bottom of the container to light the way. And believe it or not. It helps.
     When I finished, I couldn’t help but smile. Syd loved trudging
Syd''s Garden
through this particular area of the yard. For some reason, she liked to eat the grass in this little corner. Now, when her ashes are ready and she comes home once again, I will take some of them, put them in a small bottle, and bury them here so she will always be a part of her special place.

     I still have my moments. And I will miss that little pumpkin forever. She was truly one of a kind.
     I am the lucky one to have had her with me for the time that I did. I’m so very thankful for her worried looks when someone sneezed, her little whines when I would be busy writing on my computer, and when she just simply NEEDED her belly rubbed so bad.
     It isn’t easy. I read recently that losing a pet can be as difficult as losing a person, and I believe it; but planting Syd’s garden has been the best therapy.


6 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry about your loss. They capture our hearts from the moment they choose us as family. Healing is a slow process to not be rushed. Sending hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney's Garden is a beautiful tribute to the wonderful furbaby she was. May she live forever in your heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect way to memorialize your fur baby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful memorial to a beautiful little love❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all, she was a special little girl who was so loved and I suggest doing something like this. It truly does help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. Writing about our fury babies can be good therapy.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...