Life without my four-legged shadows ~ by Joanne Jaytanie


It’s impossible to believe my sweet Maya left this world a year ago today. How can it feel like both just a moment ago and a lifetime when I last held her? I still can’t put away the condolence cards. The nail grinder is on the back porch exactly where I left it, the last time I did her nails. Her bed next to my desk and another next to our bed are still ready to be slept on. As long as these things remain in place, I still have a part of her.  

So often I hear her high-pitched whine when I’m upstairs or walking up to the house. I open the front door still expecting to see Maya and Tristan, vying for position, stubs snapping back and forth, their noses pushing into my hands. 



I’ve had at least one and as many as five, four-legged shadows for my entire adult life until this last year. I was sure Maya would be my last. I knew it would be different, not having a Doberman in my life, but I fooled myself into believing it would be okay. It’s the little things that still make me tear up…






Walking into the house and not having my welcoming party.












Always by my side – even in the bathroom.






Putting them to bed and covering them up.

Drooling and staring while I prepare meals.



The constant shadow that I’d learned to maneuver around years ago.









Stepping over dogs whenever I get up from watching tv.









The Doberman grin.













Serving as the attendant to the ever-revolving door.








Waking up each morning greeted by a dog thrilled to see me.







Playing in the snow.












Always having someone to talk to who just wanted to hear my voice.





My constant companion laying right next to me while I’m at my desk.






The ever-vigilant sentry. 













The seconds before I drift off at night thinking about how much I miss them. 

Yes, dogs cost money to feed, care for, splurge on, take on vacation. They take time out of your day. They may even be what you schedule your day around. You arrange your house and design your yards to accommodate them. They will get sick, and they will break your heart. You must weigh the heartbreaking cost of losing them to the absolute joy of having the unconditional love each and every day they are with you - which we all know is never enough time.

Three hundred and sixty-five days have gone by since I lost my Maya. I miss you to the stars and back, my sweet girl. I keep waiting for the terrible ache in my heart to subside. 





11 comments:

  1. I find no adequate words to console your loss and soothe the emptiness you have and continue to experience. My heart aches for your sadness. Written with much love and sympathy. May your broken heart continue healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your continued support and friendship, Grace.

      Delete
  2. I'm beginning to know how you feel. My Kera is not doing well. She started having seizures and has a mass but is not in any pain. But, when do you say it's time? Since my back surgery she has been my companion. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so very sorry you are having to deal with this, Jennifer. The only advice I can give, one that I've always told my puppy people and tried to practice is, weigh the good days against the bad. Are they still enjoying life and seem pain free or are there more days that you can tell they are in pain? You know your dog better than anyone else and it should always be your decision. Your in my thoughts...

      Delete
  3. So sorry for your loss, Joanne. Sadly, I understand what you're feeling and wish there was something to say or do to help ease your sorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristine. No one ever wants to be a part of this 'group'.

      Delete
  4. Your dogs were so fortunate to have you and Ralph to parent them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful Joanne and rings so true for me too. I loved Helvi as much at least any any beloved man in my life. She gave me so very very much....more than I was ever able to repay her in her short 7 years with me. I console myself it that I suffer now and not her. AN I wouldn't have it any other way. You before me Helvi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oops meant at least as much as any human in my life....and that it is I that suffer now

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Kris. I'm certain Helvi was filled with your love every single moment of her life. Anyone could see it in her photos. You were her whole world, the moon and the stars. I'm so sorry.

      Delete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...