Heat and Humidity vs MS ~ by Grace Augustine

I'm sure you've heard this saying...It's not the heat, it's the
Todd Trapani/Pexels.com
humidity.  Well, in my case it is the heat and the humidity. For those who suffer with autoimmune disorders, and in my case, Multiple Sclerosis hot weather and humid conditions exacerbate symptoms. 


In my younger years, I was the first to be slathering on the sunscreen, spritzing the Sun-In on my hair, taking a transistor radio, and heading for the back yard to work on my tan...that was pre-MS.  Now, I have had to say "no" so many times to invitations that required me to be outside at different events during the summer. It saddens me, but for my own health, I must.

Heat produces temporary worsening of symptoms. It doesn't increase the disease activity, it's just annoying. The heat-induced symptoms reverse quickly when the source of increased temperature is removed...staying inside in the air conditioning.

Strategies for easing the effects of heat (see NMSS.org article)

Stay in an air-conditioned environment during periods of extreme heat and humidity. If an air conditioner is needed to help minimize symptoms, the cost of this equipment may be tax deductible if the physician has written a prescription for it.

Use cooling products such as vests, neck wraps, and bandana during exercise or outdoor activity.

Wear lightweight, loose, breathable clothing.

Icy drinks or popsicles can provide temporary relief.
Lisa Kelley/Pexels.com


Use an oscillating fan or air conditioning during indoor exercise.

Exercise in a cool pool (<85 degrees) or a cool environment. If you are exercising outside, pick cooler times of the day, usually early morning or evening.

Try pre- and post-cooling to decrease the heating effects of exercise. Get into a bathtub of cool water and continue adding cooler water over a period of 20 to 30 minutes. A cool bath or shower can also help reduce core body temperature following activity or exposure to a hot environment.


Pexels.com


These are only a handful of ideas. And, please remember to check on your disabled and elderly neighbors when the temperatures and humidity are up there.

2 comments:

  1. Good tips on keeping ourselves cooled down. Thanks Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some important things to remember. Thanks for sharing, Grace.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...