It's Just a Dog...And that's what makes them so extraordinary, Part 5 ~ by Joanne Jaytanie

This series is about sharing a bit of my friends' lives with their dogs. In conjunction with sharing with you the role my dogs have played in my life, and how they have influenced the books I have written.
Marty, Gianni and Sophie

Friendships can blossom in so many ways. 



I bred two litters of puppies and finding forever homes for each of my pups was my first priority. I kept a legal-sized notebook and had pages and pages of potential homes. I interviewed every person. I wanted all of my dogs well cared for, to be part of the family, and most of all in a loving home. It was an arduous task. One filled with challenge, disappointment, visiting strangers’ homes, and turning many people away. I viewed each potential home as an extension of my own. I think you need an innate sense of people in order to find the gems among the pile. My guest today is one of those gems. In 2001, Gianni started out as a puppy home and over the years our friendship has evolved. 

Gianni:  I first met you by phone shortly after my beloved Cosette, a big black and rust girl, died of DCM (Dilated cardiomyopathy) at 4 1/2 years old. I was devastated, and my husband, Marty, said to begin the search for a puppy. He said he'd drive across the country to pick it up if it would make me stop crying. I wanted a health tested puppy being raised holistically with real food. The angel who loves dogs led me to you. I think your litter was only 3 weeks old at the time. We spoke by phone and you began sending photos. I loved what you were doing with them. Since we live about 600 miles apart, I didn't get to come meet them, but I fell in love with them anyway. I could (and will) write a book on how Sophie and then her brother Angus came to us and how absolutely extraordinary they were. Bless you forever for entrusting the two of them to me.
Marty, Sophie, Gianni and Connor

Me: Gianni took Sophie home around ten weeks of age. I kept a red boy, Captain, and a red girl, Anya. The rest of my puppies were placed by four months of age. All but one other red boy, who I named Parker. Parker was a precious dog, as were all my dogs. Parker lived to love his people and he did it with gusto. And as with all my puppies, he needed the right home. We turned home after home down. 

One weekend, close to Christmas, my husband and I packed up all our dogs in the van and spent a weekend driving out to a potential home for Parker. Deep in my gut, I knew this wasn’t the home for him, but the people kept calling and asking for him. So, off we went to meet these people and visit their home. That visit is a story of its own--which I will just sum up as…I should have never doubted my initial feelings and we returned home with Parker. For months I knew I’d already found the perfect home for Parker, I was just waiting to see if that home would want him. In the meantime, I continued my search.

My waiting paid off and about six months of age, Parker went to his forever home. I recall that day vividly. The picture is still burned into my memory of Parker jumping up on me and wrapping his paws over my shoulders--he was a big puppy. There were tears, lots and lots of tears. Placing puppies in their forever homes, if done right, is an emotional roller-coaster and two litters were more than enough for me…So, thank you, Gianni, for opening your heart to my boy, Parker, who became your boy, Angus. He was well loved.   

Me: Please share your history of the dogs in your life. 

Gianni: The first time I actually crawled as a baby was to my dad's black lab. He growled at me. He went to a new home. But I was born loving dogs (all animals really). My dad bred yellow labs. He promised me a puppy from every litter, but each time I would come home from school and my puppy would have been sold. In one case, given away to a half-brother. I swore an oath to myself that no one would ever have a say over my animals but me when I grew up.
  
Six months after I left home, I met my first Doberman. She smiled. I fell in love. Six months later I found my own. For all but maybe three years of the last forty-five there has been a Dobie beside me. As many as four at one time. I have two purebreds and a half-breed now. We've purchased four and have rescued six purebreds. Five of those were "worst case" rescues, dogs unadoptable or those slated to be euthanized. We have no regrets, tho, it was a more difficult path.

Me: What part do your dogs play in your life, and how important is the dog in your life?

Gianni:  My dogs are my children. I'm a professional homeopath with an office and I enjoy having a dog in the office with me. Sophie was my first and she truly owned the place. Multiple times she saw the inside of a human and knew exactly how to heal them herself, knowing when they needed her close or to just lie quietly and observe. It was really beautiful to watch when she saw someone emotional and offered to help them thru by laying her gorgeous head in their lap. She most especially loved people in wheelchairs and would drag me to them so she could offer her love. She was truly my life partner in every single way. That she chose me and convinced me that I needed a red dog was pretty amazing.

Me: Do you have any stories you’d like to share?

Gianni:  As a homeopath, I am often called on when things go wrong after conventional medical treatment. One of those times is with vaccinosis, especially rabies vaccinosis.

A client called one day when her young shepherd had been acting strange. He was fearful, defensive, becoming aggressive, hiding in dark places like under a desk, and his thirst and appetite had changed. His symptoms were steadily worsening, and they were considering euthanization.

In asking questions it came out that his symptoms began when he had a surgery (neutering) and the vet (without her permission) vaccinated him for rabies. I immediately knew what the issues were about. No vaccine should ever be administered with anesthesia. It's a recipe for disaster. I've seen several dogs succumb to. For whatever scientific reason, the effect of the anesthesia compounds the side effects of the vaccine.
  
I sent her antidoting remedies and we discussed dietary changes and supplements to help with detoxification. Within five days he was very significantly improved. For over a year we had to repeat the process occasionally, but with time and persistence he was eventually symptom free, to the joy of his people.

Me: What is your definition of the love you have for your dog?

Gianni:  My mother told me there is no such thing as unconditional love. Dogs taught me otherwise with their unconditional acceptance, loyalty, devotion, and, yes, what I believe is interspecies love.

Gianni is a homeopath with a thriving practice in Hamilton, MT. Her passion for alternative healing was fueled by her Doberman, Cosette, in the 90's. In her off time, she enjoys art, gardening, decorating, and spending time with friends.

You can find Gianni Here:
Gianni's Facebook Page
The Providential Doberman (Book) 


Me, Captain, Kes, Anya, Ralph
Dax and Misty (front row)

I can’t introduce you to one of my Dobermans today. Because there isn’t just one of my dogs this post relates to. It’s every one of them. Breeding two of my girls. Holding their puppies in my hands as they came into this world. Nursing them and raising them into beautiful, loving souls who shared their lives with amazing people. Cradling them in my arms when it was their time to leave this world.

 Maya and Tristan

Every day is etched into my being and has made an everlasting impression on me. I’ve grown and evolved with each dog. Meet people I would never have met. Experienced things I would have never experienced. I’ve spent a lifetime with a Doberman at my side, molding me into the person I’ve become, giving me the perseverance to put my fingers to the keyboard and create stories... Stories that so often includes a dog. Because really, what’s a home without a dog…it’s just a house.

Taisha and Misty
My 1st and 2nd Dobermans
Until next time…

Joanne  


4 comments:

  1. I have always loved the photo of Maya and Tristan...actually of all your priceless fur babies. I keep thinking each story you share is the best, but each is unique in its own way as were each of your Dobies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. They are each such unique beings. I have a lifetime full of memories.

      Delete
  2. I love this series, Joanne, and the dogs you've so lovingly raised, as your own or for others, are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Kristine. My puppy people are all wonderful people. I couldn't have asked for more.

    ReplyDelete

Quashed!

Trellised Squash I’d been planning my 2024 garden for months, and double-checked a list of vegetables in the brassica family. Due to a thyro...