Christmas Past by Lori Roberts


photo: Pinterest

The older I get, the more I wax nostalgic. It seems like there is a memory attached to everything during Christmas. My memories aren’t limited to Christmas, but so many memories are tied to Christmases past.

While putting up the different trees in the house, my mind wandered back to the memory attached to the ornament or decoration I was holding. Growing up, my mom bought ornaments for my sister and me each Christmas. The earliest one was 1973. I was ten years old and I have all the ornaments since that Christmas. 


Most brought a smile, while a couple brought a tear. The snowman ornament she made for us the first Christmas after my dad passed is one that still puts a lump in my throat when I hang it on the tree. His hankie, shirt, and a sock were the material used to fashion this treasure. 



Another special ornament is a pair of crocheted ice skates with paperclips for the blades that my grandmother gave me. They have been on my tree for at least 3 decades. The ornaments my children made for me bring back wonderful memories when they still believed in Santa Claus.

I have the records I listened to as a child and have purchased replacements now that vinyl records are making a comeback. Listening to Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Tennessee Ernie Ford, and Judy Garland transport me back to a time of innocence and wonder. I remember the excitement of listening to the large cabinet style stereo playing, a fire in the fireplace, and watching the lights of the Christmas tree. Life was simple and safe then.

photo: Pinterest

Family was and is a large part of Christmas. As a child, we always went to my maternal grandparents’ house on Christmas Eve. I can still smell the cedar tree covered in large bubble lights and tinsel in their living room. The house was full of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Those memories are still vivid in my mind. 

photo: Pinterest

Last weekend I was part of a Christmas bazaar where I had a table to sell my books and book related items. Beside me was a vendor with doll clothes. I saw the Barbie clothes and was instantly transported to my childhood. My paternal grandmother gave all of the granddaughters a box of handmade Barbie clothes. I still remember how excited I was to open the box and see the tops, slacks, ballgowns, wedding dresses, and coats. She made each one with love.

I hope those who read this will be transported by their memories and I wish you all a blessed Christmas and blessed 2019.





4 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Lori. I feel the same way, especially this time of the year. Thanks so much for sharing. Your skates are really darling. I'd love to see the snowman ornament. I'll bet it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanne. I will get a picture of the ornaments on my tree that were discussed above. I am in the midst of cleaning for tomorrow's Christmas at my house!

      Delete
  2. I love the ice skates and can't imagine crocheting something so small. Thanks for sharing your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your memories, Lori. Christmastime does the same for me - transports me back to a magical time in my life.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...