A Much Kinder Time ~ by Grace Augustine #originalitybydesign



photo: trussevents

When some of you see this, you are instantly transported to the sounds of SOUL TRAIN. The '70's. The best era ever, in my opinion, because that was my growing up years.

We didn't worry about locking our cars or our homes. The worst we dealt with in my tiny Montana town were the men on the street corners on a Sunday morning, sleeping off an all night bender in one of the local establishments.

The '70's brought so many wonderful things to life for those of us who call that era ours. My dream car was a Barracuda.

photos: Pinterest, classiccars.com

Ladies, how could we resist these dapper young men in their wide white belts, cords, and polyester patterned shirts, right?  

photos: Pinterest

And, guys, c'mon...I mean really. Look at this? These were some of the very best fashions the ladies were wearing at the time.

photos: Pinterest, Catie Cordero

In my small town of Cut Bank, Montana, there wasn't much to do. I was one of the lucky ones. The legal drinking age was lowered to 18 and my best friend and I took advantage of that most weekends.  I wasn't...and still am not...a beer drinker. My first drink was a Lime Vodka Collins. I graduated from that to Sloe Gin Fizzes, Tia Maria and gingerale, and settled on my then favorite rum and cola. (I know this makes me sound like a lush, but truly I wasn't. I was of legal age, never was drunk, knew my limit, and today, seldom/if ever drink.)

It wasn't uncommon for us to close down the bars and hit the Big Sky Cafe at 2 am to share a plate of french fries and gravy: still conversing, still laughing, still having a good time.

photo: TripAdvisor


My best friend and I knew one of our favorite bands was playing at one of our favorite weekend spots, so we donned our going-out duds and headed out. The place was packed with stumbling businessmen, Reservation residents, and a lot of rowdy oil men...all imbibing in their favorite beverage. I was enjoying people watching, sipping my drink. My friend, however, wasn't so lucky--two drinks and she was dancing on the table...literally!

The band played many hits from the era. During intermission, these band members came over to our table, sat down, and chatted. They did so during all of their breaks. All of a sudden I heard "Hey, why don't you guys come over for dinner tomorrow night?"  My head whipped around so fast. I'm sure I looked like Linda Blair in the Exorcist!

My friend had just invited six men... to my house... for dinner... before their Saturday night gig. MY HOUSE! Sigh! Well, I took it all in stride. They seemed nice (they could have been ax-murderers) so I thought why not. (Did I mention they could have been ax-murderers?)

I cleaned my apartment, cooked a lovely roast with all the trimmings, even homemade pie for dessert... and on schedule at 5:30 pm, the boys started filing into my apartment. I didn't know their names! (Ax Murderers, I tell ya!) 

I was fortunate these were very wholesome, handsome, talented guys who were polite, funny, and thankful for a hot meal. They took care of their dishes, each thanking me with a kiss on the cheek before leaving, and proceeded to the venue for their final show. (My friend who'd invited them conveniently had to work late!)

I finished cleaning up about the time my friend showed up, so I changed clothes and we headed out the door to go hear this band, whose lead singer's name was Ed. (I never did get the names of the others.) Well, Ed decided at the close of the night, he was teaching me how to shoot pool...which made my friend very jealous. She had a "thing" for Ed, but Ed chose me. He stood behind me steadying the cue stick and showing me how to shoot.  I remember my friend being so upset because his arms were around me not her...when all I was interested in was learning how to shoot pool!   I believe that night was the night for my first real kiss. **blush** (Yes, from Ed.) I've often wondered where the band landed, more importantly where Ed landed.

photo: 70's popphotos 
(this isn't the band, but it could have been since most resembled each other)

I'm not sure if there is a moral to this story... but, back in the 70's in small town Montana, we didn't have to worry about inviting strangers over for dinner. We didn't have to worry about locking our homes and vehicles, or having our mail stolen. It was a simpler time, an enjoyable time, a time where people went out, had face to face conversations, and shared stories and a laugh or two. It was the best era for many things: safety, clothing, friendships... and music. Always the music.

16 comments:

  1. Reminds me of one of you Acorn Hills books. ;) Great story. Thanks for sharing, Grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acorn Hills was patterned after my home town with a bit of imagination tossed in. Thanks, Joanne.

      Delete
  2. This brings a smile to my face! What great memories you have of your growing up years. And, who knows? Ed may be telling a similar story of a girl he met decades ago and taught to shoot pool. Maybe he's wondering what happened to you, will read this post, and reconnect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristine. Who knows now that there's social media. ;)

      Delete
  3. I love that story! Awesome post. I really enjoyed reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard of a Barracuda until Nash Bridges drove one. Interesting information about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the 70's even though I was married with children. We lived in a university town and we always had a full house. Thanks for a great blog, Grace,
    Patty MacFarlane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Patty. It was a wonderful time and I'm so glad I grew up during those years in a small town where everyone watched everyone. A very blessed, special time, for sure!

      Delete
  6. A fun walk down memory lane, Grace. Thanks. Love the bell bottoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol yes...bell bottoms and peasant crop tops and Birkenstocks

      Delete
  7. I was probably one of those Oil field hands. Those were the carefree years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your story. Don't hate me but I was born in 1974😲. But you know as a teenager I lived on a block with several of my school friends. We would sneak out of my friends house and go to the neighbors but never really did anything wrong. Alot of times we went to the lake and watched for falling stars. The drinking age was 21 but it was still easy to obtain if you knew the right people. I was not much of a drinker so I was the DD. Life was so easy and fun. We could have been so bad, but we usually behaved well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was an 80s girl, but much of this still rang true during that time. The closes (and hair!) hand changed, but we could still leave our doors unlocked (I don't remember ever having a key) and strangers... I grew up in an Alaskan town where everyone was a transplant. We all became one big "family" so there were no strangers!

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...