On Being a Photojournalist and ESL Teacher ~ by Joan Ramirez

I came out of the womb asking for a pad and pencil.

I was looking at magazines in my crib. 

I remember with fondness my mother sneaking a peek in the recreation room of our home, where, at nine, I organized a writer’s circle for a group of my school friends.

I wrote my first short story at twelve and was so hooked on storytelling, I’ve been writing ever since. 

copyright Joan Ramirez
Being an ESL teacher is one of the most rewarding jobs I’ve had. It has given me the opportunity to teach creative writing in Vietnam in French and English, as well as conduct workshops in the townships of Cape Town, South Africa, and motivate college students in Seoul, South Korea. 

Here in the States, I’ve taught the most delightful elementary and middle grade students to master the English language. My Japanese and Korean students have won my heart. They absorb knowledge like eager sponges and retain it with pride.

As to being a photojournalist, from the moment my mother gave me my first camera when I was a Girl Scout, I’ve had a love affair with photography. 

copyright Joan Ramirez
I’m proud to say that the attached photo—New York Sunset--was a runner up for a TIME OUT Magazine cover. I’ve circled the globe many times to capture sunrises and sunsets in South Africa, shoot on safari, and visit schools to teach photojournalism in Vietnam, Hong Kong, and Thailand, to name a few countries.  

When I have a camera in my hand, I’m in another world. For me, it’s the best part of travelling. Recording the smiles of children, shooting panoramic landscapes, and capturing the local color are some of my favorite things to do when I’m overseas. 

It’s a passion that grows stronger every year. Someday, when I am able to take a break from teaching and novel writing, I intend to publish my photo treasures for the entire world to see and enjoy.

Joan Ramirez
Author, teacher, and photojournalist, Joan Ramirez, holds a Master of Science in Business, Medical, and Technical Journalism as well as two others in ESL and Education. She has published on a variety of topics from cochlear implants to the economy and has conducted workshops -domestic and foreign-on the nuances of business communications for managers and start-up companies. She is the leader of her own enterprise with training programs for entrepreneurs. Readers can find Joan's photography on Fine Art America and her books Go For It Leadership Handbook for All Students and Jamie is Autistic:Learning in a Special Way on Amazon.com and B&N.com. If you are interested in reaching out to Joan, please do so through the link below.



2 comments:

  1. Delighted having you as our guest today. Thank you for sharing with us. Your photography is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you've made the most of your creativity. What wonderful contributions to the world!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...