Creativity, Creates Creativity ~ by Nicholas C. Johnson

Several years ago, I was sitting at my kitchen table, racking my brain about what I should be artistically working on. At the time, I really wanted to write short stories, novellas, or better yet, a novel. I just didn’t even know where to start. Not exactly knowing how to start, I just began creating art. Slowly, but surely, I began to chip away at creating things I was really proud of. Stories. Paintings. Comics. I think everyone has the innate ability to create something. Most people just don’t take advantage of that side of their brain.

When I first started out writing, I found people to write with. Having a writing partner or two helped me at the start of my journey. Another person can often help you fill in the blanks in your stories that you may not be able to see. I was writing all the time during those years. In notebooks. On my laptop. In the notes section of my phone. Some of these stories weren’t as good as I would have hoped and like many, I wondered when, and if I would get better at writing. Would I ever be able to come up with something I was proud of? Would I ever create something that would be published?

At first, coming up with things to write about was difficult. I desperately wanted my own Tolkien universe with a fully developed map and world. I never for a second realized how difficult creating something that intricate would be. I kept working on art nearly every day. Even when I couldn’t get anyone to read my work. The few people who did read what I had written often told me I needed to go back to the drawing board.

Eventually, something started happening. Every time I created a

new story or a new painting, I typically found I had another idea. Or I would think there was another story in the same universe. Or another painting that was similar to the last maybe with a few changes in colors. 

Ideas and creativity always seem to snowball. Now, years later, I have so many ideas I want to put into motion. There’s always something else I want to try, and another story to write. Another page to draw. Another canvas to splatter.

Not many artists become successful overnight (Not to say I’m a wild success.) Only after years of practicing, and hitting the pavement, have artists become successful enough to give up their day jobs (which I assume is what most artists secretly wish for.)


When I read the biographies of artists I admire, they very rarely achieved overnight success. No, most of these people worked for years. Created numerous projects of their own, or worked doing small pieces for another person’s project. Until finally those artists get noticed for their talent.

I think everyone can create something great. They just need to start working on what they are passionate about. Work at what you want to create every day. Sometimes you won’t get what you want out of the process. Sometimes you will get what you want out of the process. Other times you’ll create something really special because your plans will work out better than you hoped they would. Either way, during this time you will have created something unique and original to you.

In my oh so humble opinion, the more art you create the more art you will want to create. This all came to a head a few years ago for me. I was talking to one of my old high-school teachers and mentor (he is now a colleague) about what I had been up to artistically. I told him I enjoyed painting and writing and he asked me why I never worked on comic books. I had worked on comics in the past, but I never made this a priority. I took the advice seriously and began working on what I originally thought would be a graphic novel.

A graphic novel is categorized as a comic book that is one-hundred and twenty pages. When I had hit that magic number I knew that I had more blank spots to fill in. I knew I would need more time to finish what I started. I decided to make my graphic novel a continuing series called Callow Corvus. 


Callow Corvus is far from perfect, but I love it! I’m particularly
proud of the writing and the art that I’ve created in that series. The main character of the series, Carl The Crow (yes his middle name is The, no he does not like to talk about it.) Carl is always talking to me, and typically, whenever I put pen on paper, I can’t help but draw this character on the page.

I’ve currently been working on the Callow Corvus series for two years. In that time, Carl has taken on a life of his own. I have a group of people who are interested in the mildly-entertaining continuing adventures of my cynical crow. I’ve had both a doll and puppet created to bring Carl into more mediums. He’s been in advertisements and marketing campaigns for me. Recently I’ve been creating short comics in virtual reality, thanks to the help of Tilt Brush by Google. None of this would have been possible if I never tried to be creative, and bring my imagination to life many years ago at my kitchen table.

I want to say one last thing, there will be people who don’t believe in you. Plenty of them. They will not see your vision. They will not believe in your abilities. They will have the attitude of why don’t you just go home and watch TV like the rest of us. Forget these people. I believe in you.

My Best,
Nicholas C. Johnson

Nicholas C. Johnson, who creates art under the alias Bob Van Starr,

is an author of several comic books and an artist with paintings all over the world. Over the past two years he has published over ten comic books, and a Generation-Z Vocabulary work book. 

Before he began working as an artist and author, he was busy earning a law degree from Charlotte School of Law. Now, Mr. Van Starr lives in Beautiful Down east Maine where he enjoys spending time with his family and friends and working on his various art projects. 

For more information or to view this author's work please visit: 

6 comments:

  1. Your artwork is amazing. Thank you for being our guest today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Nicholas! Thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork with us. Wishing you the best of success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post. I love that your character's middle name is The. I think I'd like this guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha I love Carl, but he's often not a fan of me and all of the work I make him do! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see you are a great creator of eclectic art and writing. So cool! I found it difficult to find the writing on here though. It looks like you have a lot of guest contributors. I will message you about that.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...