An Unexpected Drift...Into Fiction Writing ~ by Burkely Hermann

For years, I have written academic papers, about my own personal family history, on blogs like Packed with Packards! and Milling ‘round Ireland, with others in the works, or any of the topics I focus on as part of my weekly newsletter. All that changed this summer when I turned the corner. I began writing fan fiction of my favorite shows on Archive Our Own (AO3). On June 25th, I published a simple, yet highly amateur, story on AO3, a time travel adventure between characters of Futurama and the 1990s cartoon series, Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? I almost feel embarrassed to link to it now, because I have progressed so far since then! 

In the months that followed, I brought together some of my other favorite characters, originally dividing the stories into two series, “Dimensional Drift: Samurai Jack in Etheria” and “The Unexpected Adventures of the Crystal Gems: Stranded in Etheria,” Later I combined them into a single ongoing series, “An Unlikely Alliance Against Evildoers.” Writing each new story brings its own challenges, and while I am still new to writing fictional pieces, I feel I am up to the task. My ultimate plan is to create a unified story which brings together the worlds and stories of characters who otherwise wouldn’t meet.

Perhaps this development wasn’t completely unexpected. After all, I tried my hand at storytelling as part of my posts about family history on my mom and dad’s side, which is still under development, as learning your family roots is a task that is never finished. Also, I have written some fictional works before, but they are either unfinished or underdeveloped in terms of story structure. The path toward fictional works has proven to be a creative avenue I had never fully explored in the past. Although I’m new to this and am learning more all the time, I feel that this type of writing is something I want to do in the months and years to come.

This brings me to why I am writing this post today. I recently published my first collection of these stories within a novella, Unexpected Dimensional Drift, which is freely available because it is a fan fiction. It includes diagrams for the cast of characters and an illustration at the beginning of every chapter. This is apart from the book’s cover shown above, which I created myself, first drawing it by hand, then later coloring it in Microsoft Paint, a painstaking process. The first few chapters of this novella bring together characters from different walks of life on the planet of Etheria:  a military captain who can turn into a magical princess and wields a powerful sword, Adora, a lost samurai who was stranded there, Jack, a master archer, and tech whizz, Bow. As they work together to fight evil and bring their world into balance, they visit family libraries, magical castles, and a polluted stronghold of evil. Some are whisked away through inter-dimensional portals by choice, while others are brought to Etheria by “accident.”

Later chapters focus on those in the latter category, as light-composed beings (Gems) warp to this unfamiliar world and meet elemental princesses. They end up traveling to a beacon of relaxation, a magical castle, a plant kingdom, a seaside kingdom, and an underwater archive, to name a few prominent locations. This culminates in a huge battle on Etheria, and another one in space, leaving certain characters to make choices about their future. Through all these stories, sorcery, swords, magic, relationships, friendships, and social awkwardness are explored. The importance of respecting other’s choices and accepting them for who they are, a key theme of some of these animated cartoons, is also strongly emphasized.

The second novella is on the way, with three of its chapters already written and published on AO3, bringing new characters into the mix. Although I don’t want to reveal about what is coming up next, as I have many stories and plots already planned, I can say that the story begins where the first one left off, involving unusual horrors, and preparations for another imminent face-off with evildoers. 

Like the other stories, I explore the intimacies of friendships and relationships. The latter not always heterosexual. This is manifested in the strong and growing bond between two seminal female characters, Lapis and Peridot, and between two new characters who live in Japan, Utena and Anthy. Additionally, there is the continuing bond of two light-composed beings who are fused together by choice, Garnet, and various other fusions between characters. Again, there are the same themes, like those of acceptance, understanding, tolerance, and friendship, while also focusing on struggles with trauma and emotional baggage.

While some writers do “self-inserts,” add themselves as characters in their stories, I tend to not go that route and have no plans to do so. Instead, I inform the characters I write about from my personal experiences and emotions. Sometimes, I add elements that have a deep personal understanding as a person who can be occasionally socially awkward and am hyper-aware of sounds and light.
 

Undoubtedly, this affects the stories I write, as anyone’s thoughts, experiences, culture, and socioeconomic standing affect their final published works. Of course, I am also influenced by what I listen to and watch, whether any of my favorite animated series like Samurai Jack, Steven Universe, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, Revolutionary Girl Utena, or Adventure Time, any of the films I have seen, or what I have read in my specific field, Library and Information Science. As such, these ideas are often weaved into my works whether I do so consciously or unconsciously. 

In the future I hope to move onto fictional works that don’t derive from existing animated series. For the time being, since I am still new to this type of writing, fan fiction seems like the appropriate avenue until I fully find my footing. In the meantime, the creative juices can flow like a raging river through a series of rocks and obstacles until it reaches a waterfall.  Unexpected Dimensional Drift is available only through me, so if you'd like a copy, please contact me.   Thanks again to Grace Augustine and Joanne Jaytanie for letting me guest post on this blog.

Burkely Hermann
Burkely Hermann is a writer of magical fantasy and adventure fan fictions, which serve as crossovers between characters from many different animated series. Presently, he lives in the D.C. area and is finishing up his Master of Library and Information Science graduate degree at the University of Maryland. Apart from his fiction writing, he enjoys hiking, cycling, cooking simple meals, watching movies (and animated shows), and learning more about his family roots. You can connect with Burkely on any of the sites listed below.

3 comments:

  1. Very nice having you with us today, Burkely. Your work is very interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Burkely! Thank you for sharing your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the best on your writing journey.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...