Recipe of the Month ~ by Grace Augustine

I don't know about you, but my cookbook collection is crazy! I
One of my treasures!
have crock pot cookbooks, dessert cookbooks, soup cookbooks, cookbooks from the many different energy companies (yes smaller towns in Montana and Iowa have local energy companies that put together recipes in book form and offered them to their customers when they went into the office to pay their bill) in the cities I've lived, as well as the very best of cookbooks...church cookbooks. Those church ladies sure know how to make food!


I thought it would be fun, now that autumn has arrived and winter is around the corner, to share with you some of my favorite seasonal recipes. These are tried and true go-to's whenever you need a simple, hearty meal, or a delicious dessert to share. 

photo courtesy of Simply Recipes
Since October is National Pork Month, I thought I'd share with you my recipe for Hawaiian Ham Balls.

Ham Balls

2 lbs ham loaf (purchase at your meat counter--or you can substitute 1 lb ground ham and 1 lb ground lean pork)
1/4 C cracker crumbs (can use gluten free bread crumbs)
2 eggs, beaten
1 C milk (or unflavored almond milk)

1 large can pineapple rings (drained, save juice for sauce)

Sauce

1-1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 C white vinegar
1/2 C pineapple juice (from can of pineapple)
1 tsp dry mustard

1. Place drained pineapple slices in a 9" x 13" glass baking dish.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. Mix meat, crackers, eggs, and milk and form into balls. Place on top of pineapple rings. (Meat mixture will be a bit "wet")

4. Mix sauce ingredients in saucepan. Bring to boil and boil for 2 minutes. pour over ham balls and baste occasionally while baking.

5. Serves 8 and goes well with wild rice or mashed potatoes.


To read more of my blog posts, please click HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...