Sweater Weather ~ by Kristine Raymond

I love this time of year.  Cooler temperatures, bright azure skies, colorful leaves floating gently down to blanket the ground.  In other words - sweater weather.

© Depositphotos
That's what we called it when I was a kid growing up in New England.  It began in mid-September; a morning chill in the air that lingered during trips to the apple orchard or farmers' market.  A crispness that accompanied walks along a sandy stretch of beach devoid of summer tourists, when the mercury hovered between too-cool-for-a-T-shirt and too-warm-for-a-coat.  Sweater weather.

© Depositphotos
I love sweaters.  Bulky cables, lightweight Henleys, soft cashmeres.  As with most of my wardrobe, I tend to stay with muted, earth-tone hues, but every now and then, a brightly-colored knit catches my eye, and I succumb to temptation.  


One of my favorite memories is of visiting the Fall River Knitting Mills factory outlet in Fall River, MA and picking out a new Fair Isle sweater or Shaker knit.  

After 25 years, autumn in Kentucky is still a bit of a shock to me.  While I enjoy the mild winters we experience here - nothing like the Nor-easters I've endured - September in this southernly state is more akin to summer climate than fall.  In fact, as I type this, the 'feels like' is a balmy 94° and the forecast for the rest of the week is even hotter; not quite inspiring me to pull my cozy woolens from the drawer.  (Sadly, I donated all but a few of my favorites to charity years ago to make room in my dresser for shorts and tees.)  

But that doesn't stop my yearning to bundle up and lie amongst the fallen leaves, relishing the arrival of my favorite season.

© Depositphotos
 

3 comments:

  1. Autumn is my favorite time of year...yes, sweater weather. Growing up in Northern Montana along what is known as the Highline, sweater weather began in August and stayed until June. I hope you have a chance to play in the leaves soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a season upon itself, wasn't it? Such great memories!

      Delete
  2. I love sweaters, too. I don't get any opportunities to wear them in Hawai'i, but I keep a stash in Washington state at my daughter's house.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...