Springtime? Possibly ~ by Grace Augustine

For all of us wannabe gardeners, we are itching to get our hands in the dirt. However, here in the Midwest, it is much too cold for that. Yes, bulbs are peeking up through the ground and some crocus may even be in bloom, but it is way too soon to think about planting.

Old wives tales tell us that the frost has to be out of the ground in order to plant...that means a ground temperature of at least 45 degrees. 

If you are a vegetable gardener, start most of your seedlings inside, or purchase from the local garden center. But again, wait until the ground is warm enough so as to not shock the plants. Plant peas near carrots, and cucumbers but NOT near potatoes. And, plant potatoes away from pumpkins, squash, and tomatoes.


It sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it? Well, I think I've solved the issues...at least for me. I container plant...not vegetables (because I enjoy the local farmer's markets)...and I do it Mother's Day weekend, the second weekend of May.

My fascination the past few years has been coleus. With over 45 varieties of this plant, there is one that will strike anyone's fancy. Last year I planted dark purple and lime green coleus with orange geraniums. The year before, it was a burst of yellow marigolds, hot pink impatiens, and lime green sweet potato vine.  


Whatever you choose, enjoy the process. There is something sacred about putting your hands in the soil to turn it, weed it, fertilize it, water it. Being one with nature, smelling the richness of the soil, knowing that what is being planted will yield something beautiful that touches not only your heart and soul but someone else's as well is magical.

All photos from personal collection.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Another one of my loves is photography.

      Delete
  2. I had a garden years ago than I switched to planting in pots. Now, I buy instead of plant. But there is nothing like fresh veggies. Gorgeous pictures Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jennifer. Container planting is wonderful and so much easier than getting down on the ground, even thought I'd love to still be able to do that.

      Delete
  3. I admire your ambition, Grace. How do you garden and get your writing done?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When there are containers planted, which usually happens on Mother's Day weekend, it takes little time at all...watering and watching them grow. Then during breaks (every 45 min. I get up and walk around to prevent DVTs) if the flowers are ones that need dead-heading, I do that. Otherwise, I choose plants that take care of themselves...and ones the deer don't bother. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love to get my hands dirty in the garden! Only a few things are better than touring the yard in April and seeing the first bit of green...but I also love the pots. Lol
    I've recently started putting herbs too.
    Thanks for this bit of spring, grace. So very needed. ��

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm ready for spring. I hope we don't go from winter to summer as in past years. Thank you for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do most of my planting in raised beds and pots. Seems much easier to keep up with and added bene, I can move them around. Thanks, Grace. I'm so ready for spring.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...