It’s the little things ~ by Joanne Jaytanie

This past February my husband Ralph took me on a trip to Hawaii to celebrate my birthday. It was the first time I’ve visited the islands. I’ve already written about some of the amazing sights I saw in a past post, The fantastic sights of HawaiiAnd some would say, I’m writing about them once again, except these sights are wonderous from a different point of view. The everyday things I was privileged to witness while visiting the farm of my friend, Jackie. These are the types of things which I suppose some would call—ordinary. I prefer to call them extraordinary…

I don’t have chickens, but I found them fascinating because I had the opportunity to watch them interact for days. There is a backyard flock and a front yard flock. When the backyard chickens were fed, the front yard flock was interested in what was happening, but they wouldn’t approach the backyard while the backyard flock was eating.

Notice the cat in the bottom picture? The cats and chickens coexisted peacefully.


Have you ever seen chickens in a tree? I did. Even with all the coops to choose from, the front yard chickens chose to sleep in a tree.

During our walks in the Macadamia Nut orchard, Jackie introduced me to Mr. Fancy Pants. He was a new tenant and only had eyes for her. Mr. Fancy Pants was nowhere to be seen, but as soon as Jackie called him, he’d instantly appear and talk to her.

The chickens weren't the only fowl on the farm. A wild turkey or three often wandered through the yard. 





The oversized foliage was impressive. It reminded me of the movie, "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." 





 



Look at the size of this Elephant Leaf! This leaf isn't even the largest one on this plant.









Bananas grow from the purple flowers on the plant. As the petals curl back, a “hand” or bunch of bananas is under each petal. Each hand consists of “fingers,” and each finger is otherwise known as a banana.

You can see the stages in this picture. Once the petals all fall off, the fruit turns upwards towards the sun.




There was no better way to end a day on the farm than enjoying dinner and drinks on the lanai and great conversation with dear friends.


Until next time...
Joanne

4 comments:

  1. Hawaii sounds like such a beautiful place. I'm so glad you went, saw, and experienced her treasures. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, such a great tribute to the farm. Mr. Fancy Pants wonders where you are. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquolyn, thanks for sharing your farm with me and giving me memories that will last my lifetime. I sure do miss those apple-bananas. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...