It’s Just a dog…And that’s what makes them so extraordinary, Part 3 ~ by Joanne Jaytanie

This series is about sharing a bit of my friend’s lives with their dogs. In conjunction with sharing with you the role my dogs have played in my life, and how they influenced my decision to become an author.
Mariko's boy Jet
I'd like to introduce you to one of my international friends, Mariko Kudo. While Mariko and I have yet to meet in person, our love of Dobermans created a friendship which has grown over the years. 

Mariko: We first met I think way back in 2011 through a Doberman group on Facebook! Before this, I had no idea that such communities of die-hard Doberman lovers even existed! I quickly became addicted to sharing my dobie experiences with other like-minded Doberman owners, and it has been wonderful to meet so many lovely people who share my passion for this amazing breed! Later, in 2012 I was a co-founder of a much smaller Doberman group called Dobie Family Forum, and this has been a wonderful way to connect with dobie friends in a more intimate, family style setting! I know each and every member of this group and they are truly like family! 

Me: Please share your history of the dogs in your life. 

Mariko: I am actually fairly new to dog ownership. Growing up in the UK and in Japan, the only pets I ever had were birds and fish! In fact, my ambition when I was younger was to become a vet who specialized solely on birds. I loved my parakeets! However, my father grew up with dogs so on visits to his home in Northern Japan over the holidays, I was always greeted by an Irish Setter or two plus several wonderful Yorkies! My parents promised my older sister a dog when she turned 11, but said dog never materialized! It was only in April 2004 when I was 29 that my partner Andrew and I welcomed a dog into our home! Even then, it was a spur of the moment decision!

Andrew had just bought a house in a beautiful but very rough part of Bradford, West Yorkshire. As soon as we moved in, we had a spate of thefts from the garden. The theft of a brand new lawnmower was the last straw and he decided he needed a guard dog! So he called the local shelter and asked if they had any dobies or rotties available! And lo and behold, they had a young red dobie called Max. Andrew drove there and got him! With hindsight, I know now that we got him for all the wrong reasons – a dobie is NOT an outside dog with the sole purpose of guarding property, and as a breed, they are definitely a challenge for first time dog owners like me! Andrew was more confident as he grew up with boxers, but I truly felt out of my depth in the first few months! 

On the first night with us, we were all out in the garden, when suddenly, Max went back into the house and stood in the patio doorway, growling and snapping his teeth and refusing to allow us back inside! Andrew finally managed to grab him and pull him outside, after which we were able to flee to the safety of the house! Max went back to the shelter that day, but over the next few days, we were wracked with guilt for not giving this beautiful boy a chance. So Andrew went back to the shelter and got him back – he tells me even today that the joy on Max’s face and in his little tail was wonderful to see! He was extremely hard work for a while, and constantly tested his boundaries, but he developed into a wonderful, gentle and loyal friend who worshipped Andrew! We were devastated when we lost him to a freak infection at just 7 and a half years, but he was my introduction to dogs and to the Doberman breed, and I have not looked back! 5 weeks after we lost Max, we welcomed 7-week-old Jet into our home and he has been my constant companion for over 8 years! 

Me: What part do your dogs play in your life, and how important is the dog in your life?

Mariko: My dog is my life! He is the reason I get up in the morning regardless of the weather, time or my general state of health! When things get too much at work or my three human boys are driving me insane, a Jet cuddle always makes things much better! He truly saved me in those dark days after we lost Max – and so I always refer to him as my saviour. I know for a sad fact that Jet will not go on forever, but I also know that I will always have a dobie in my life for as long as I am able!

Me: I’m fascinated with my international friends and their lives with their dogs. 

Here in the UK, dogs are allowed in most pubs, and on public transport. An afternoon spent at the pub with a beer and one’s best friend is a wonderful occasion, although you have to be prepared for lots of attention from other customers. A dobie never fails to impress in the looks department and so many people want to pet him and ask questions! Many mention how they never realised how sweet dobies can be! Max was far better at this PR business than Jet though – he had a wonderful gift with humans and loved to be petted, whereas Jet is more wary of strangers and extremely protective of me! 

When he was little, I used to carry him around on the buses and trains in London in a bag! It used to make me laugh as everyone who saw him thought he was a dachshund! 

There are also quite a few hotels that allow pets, although we have never stayed in one. There was a particularly beautiful one in London that I always wanted to stay in with Jet, but we never got around to it – I guess it didn’t make much sense as we lived in London at the time anyway! 

Me: Do you vacation or take trips with your dog?

Mariko: Sadly, I have to admit we have not gone on holiday with Jet. A part of this is due to me hating going anywhere on vacation! I love most of all to remain in the comfort of home! However, my sister recently bought a holiday cottage in Suffolk on the East coast, so we may consider taking a family holiday there as she has mentioned to me that the dog is welcome! I also have not gone anywhere on vacation ever since we got Jet, as I cannot bear the thought of leaving him! The only times I have been separated from him were for a few nights when I was in hospital having each of my three human boys, Lewis, 4, William, 2 and Guy, 4 months. Even then, I was terribly worried about my Number 1 Boy, as I call Jet! 

Me: Do you have any stories you’d like to share?

Mariko: I can’t really think if any specific story about Jet and me, but there are certain things about him that I love. For example, when he was a puppy, we took him to training classes. The lady who ran them was against Jet from the start because of his breed, and constantly set him up for failure. She had her class “pets” and Jet was certainly not one of them! However, this did not faze him, and he was able to complete all the tasks she set out for him with very little effort! He was miles ahead of his classmates in no time at all and in the end we stopped going to them as she was so against him and rarely praised him for doing anything right! She kept getting his name and my name wrong too, much to our frustration! He might not be the cleverest dobie around (his lines are known for being beautiful but dim!) but even then, he was the cleverest dog in the class! Typical dobie!

Another thing that comes to mind is an encounter that happened when we were in London. I was taking Jet out for a walk when we got stopped by a man walking past. I never really like people stopping to talk to me when I am out with Jet, as he is very protective of me and will bark at strangers. However, with this man, Jet behaved beautifully and allowed him to pet him and even hug him. It turned out that this man had recently lost his old dobie Jude and was missing him terribly. He had tears in his eyes as he stroked Jet. And Jet could sense that this man was a kindred spirit, and for once did not go into his usual protection mode! I was very proud of him that day! 

Me: What is your definition of the love you have for your dog?
Mariko: When things get tough, Jet makes me smile and everything seems so much better! I call him my Number 1 Boy and my Saviour, and I feel so blessed to have him in my life and to have the privilege of watching him grow old.
I was born in Tokyo, Japan in 1974 but moved to the United Kingdom when I was just 4 years old. My elder sister and I spent some of the most wonderful years of our childhood in a little coastal town called Dawlish in Devon, SW England. We returned to Japan several years later and apart from a year spent in England when I was 15, most of my education took place in an English-speaking international school in Tokyo. I moved back to the UK permanently after I graduated high school and over the following years, gained qualifications in natural sciences, forensic science and eventually a PhD in Forensic Toxicology. I also trained as a Police Officer with the Metropolitan Police and patrolled the streets of London in my spare time! I now work as a lecturer and course leader in forensic science at a university in London, although currently I am off for a year on my third maternity leave, having had my third son, Guy, in July. My days are now spent looking after Lewis (almost 5), William (2), Guy (4 months), and of course, Jet!


One person in particular played a pivotal role in bringing my first heroine, Victory Winters to life. If not for my friendship with Cindy Geisler, DVM, The Winters Sisters series would never have come to fruition. 

Cindy was an extraordinary individual, with a second sight when it came to animals. She could identify any issues they had just by her touch. She was the driving force behind providing my dogs with the best quality of life when they were young and later as health problems developed. Not only was her specialty acupuncture and chiropractic therapies, she practiced them like no other.

We would sit on the floor and discuss anything and everything about dogs and people. I remember like it was only yesterday, telling her about the book I was writing—Chasing Victory. As I watched her sitting with Tristan, I explained how I couldn’t develop the depth of character I wanted for Victory. It was that moment Victory came to life, through Cindy. Victory is not Cindy...but Victory's understanding of animals, the way she can communicate with them, the depth of her love and care for them in her unique and special way—that’s all Cindy.

If Cindy was in your life you could count yourself a blessed person. The night I lost Anya, I was home alone, and I called Cindy. She came over and she sat on the floor next to Anya and me for hours, until Ralph got home. 

Cindy was always joyful. She was an old soul. Giving of herself. But life can be brutally unfair at times and Cindy passed away much too soon.

I lost Tristan a month prior to Cindy’s passing. She loved all my dogs, but Tristan held a special place in her heart. She called the day he died and left me a voice message full of grief and love…I still have that message.


It's said the eyes are the windows
to the soul. 

Cindy's eyes were able to see to the very depths of others' souls. 

When she laid her hands on dogs, her touch was nothing less than magic. 

Being in her presence would lift you up even on your darkest days.



Cindy's heart overflowed with love. Her spirit will soar in the heavens eternally. There will never be another like her...

Until next time….
Joanne 




8 comments:

  1. I know how devastated you were to lose Cindy. She was such a great friend to both Tristan and Maya...to you, too. Very nice meeting your friend, Mariko, and hearing her dobie stories. Thank you for sharing your love for these beautiful animals and for including them in your stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grace. They are emotional to write, but I believe getting the stories out comfort others and that's what keeps me writing.

      Delete
  2. Dobermans are such magnificent dogs. I've never met one I didn't fall in love with instantly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Kristine. It's a curse and a blessing.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are! Thank you for reading them.

      Delete
  4. Your heart for dogs always shines through, especially for the Dobies. They are an extraordinary breed. Thanks for sharing your stories of your friends and their experiences with man's (and woman's) best friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jacquolyn. I've made many amazing friends due to my dogs.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...