About Art ~ by Grace Augustine

I’ve always had a fascination with art. All forms of art. I love watching potters working with their hands and spinning the wheel. Looms and weaving and spinning yarn—amazing. Painting, yup. That’s my thing (other than writing, of course.)

When I was a child, my mother enjoyed doing the paint by number oil paintings. I cannot tell you how many of them graced every wall in our home. She wasn’t particularly good at it because her eyesight was terrible and she refused to wear glasses, but she had fun. And that is the prime reason to create art, to have fun and express yourself.

In high school, I usually took summer school classes and one was art. I also took art as a standard class during each of my 4 years. Then I graduated, moved, and art was no longer something I did personally. I went to many museums and admired the art of others. I went to concerts and enjoyed the singers/songwriters. But my art, well, it was shelved for other things.

It wasn’t until three years ago that I decided to pick up a brush. Mind you at that point close to 40 years had passed. I began watching videos on acrylic painting and painting along with the artists, putting my own spin on their projects. Bob Ross videos and television programs still make me smile.

I chose to do acrylics because it seemed easier than oils or
watercolors. I had tried each of those early on and found no satisfaction. It took too long for oils to dry and too quickly for watercolors. Recently I found another medium—gouache—an opaque watercolor. It doesn’t sound fun either.

Acrylic pours are extremely popular right now, but it seems so messy and uncontrollable (can’t tell I have control issues, can you?) I will leave that to those creatives who have the patience to deal with their quirky ways.



I love experimenting with new subject matter. My latest is Monet-like scenery and Santorini inspired blue doors. Most of my creations are calming in nature, maybe because I need it. May be because I enjoy it. 



Anyway you slice it, art is a way to unwind. Whether it is music, textiles, pottery, dance, wine tasting (yes it is an art!) or painting have fun. Branch out. Do something new, something you never thought you could.

To check out Grace’s other posts, visit her MEMBER PAGE or her OBD ART PAGE. You can also find her on FACEBOOK and TWITTER

All photos used are property of Grace Augustine and may not be replicated or used without permission.


 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Your paintings are beautiful! I absolutely love the blue door 💙 Art is a great way to find calm and relaxation while exploring your creativity. I'm so happy for you to have found painting... you're really talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words, Monica. It is such a good way to relax and express ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of your work is beautiful! You have such talent! I just love the birch trees...thank you for sharing it w us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, Marj. Birch and Aspen are two of my favorite trees. :)

      Delete
  4. I agree with Monica. I love the blue door series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. I am grateful to you and expect more number of posts like these. Thank you very much. my profile

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thankful to you for sharing this plethora of useful information. I found this resource utmost beneficial for me. Thanks a lot for hard work. Boutique Locale

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is normally enjoyment additionally inspiring. Snapshot getting attaining some sort of institutional set off this kind of equally contains poured all of us needing taking care of. Free vector design

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...