Unraveling

 

 

Aprons in progress

Sew, I wanted to make part of a medieval peasant’s dress for a local renaissance faire this year. But, since I haven’t sewn in decades, I took a refresher sewing class. Not only did we sew this plushie cat, but we were also introduced to the embroidery machine—very intimidating, but also so enticing. 

 

More plushies!
Class went great and I made more plushies from dozens of adorable free patterns that are available at cholyknight.com.  Well, more
plushies meant more embroidering ideas. So, with my husband’s knowledge and effort, we now have an embroidery pattern that we will put on aprons for the food bank where I volunteer. 

 

Litster's shop at Camlann Village

My first apron was made from unbleached muslin. So blah. But combined with my interest in medieval history, I wondered how I might color it with plant dyes. I signed up for an online natural dyeing class. Soon after, I had the great fortune of talking with a dyer, or litster, at a nearby medieval village, Camlann. She gave me great advice on using rhubarb leaves for a pink color, and there are plenty of rhubarb leaves in my garden.


Etsy shop
This next part is no less tangled. All these textile projects merged with my interest in medieval history and led to curiosity about weaving. My new loom recently arrived and I’m looking forward to creating, um, something. Certainly not enough fabric for an apron! :)

 

Image from Liverpool Museums
 

There's one more thread to untangle. Most recently, I've discovered Tataki Zome, a method of pounding flowers into material. I have a lot of unbleached muslin and look forward to practicing this craft.

What a tangled adventure. For now, I’m dyeing to see how a rhubarb leaf mordant and color turn out on that plain muslin apron! (The stalks were combined with blueberries for a tasty crisp.)





 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Unraveling

    Aprons in progress Sew, I wanted to make part of a medieval peasant’s dress for a local renaissance faire this year. But, since I haven’...