A Gilded Mess

 

Large gilding flake, off-brand flakes, and washi tape


Those who detest glitter probably want to read no further. It gets messier. Messier than glitter? Oh yes. Myself, I love glittery and metallic papers for card making. Sparkle just makes a card better! But I’ve met my match with some off-brand gilding flakes.

The major brands of gilding flakes come in large pieces (see above) that are easier to manage. But I loved the colors in this thirty pack set. 

 

 

 

After an initial attempt at using them I immediately discovered this was an outdoor endeavor. Why? Gilding flakes are incredibly volatile, in the sense of flying. As soon as you open the jar, flakes take flight. This is neither an activity for anyone with hay fever nor undertaken on a breezy day.

Gilding flakes can be used in several ways, though my favorite is with sticky-back paper. Other methods are with glues applied to an entire card base (4.25 x 5.5), or with stamps to gild an image. They also cling to anything in sight--skin, clothing, everything in the crafting room, and kitty.

I do love the effects of beautiful metallic pieces for entire card backgrounds or used to die cut shapes as accent pieces on cards. I tried several backgrounds and decided the multicolored panels don’t show up that well when embossed.

Gilding flakes and glitter work great in resin coasters without making a mess! 

I’ll be sticking with hot foiling, metallic papers, and metallic washi tape for a while now. My gilded age is taking a break while I attempt to clean up the craft room, sweep the patio, and brush kitty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Unraveling

    Aprons in progress Sew, I wanted to make part of a medieval peasant’s dress for a local renaissance faire this year. But, since I haven’...