State Fair Time ~ Lexa Fisher


It's state fair season! As has been our practice for over a decade, in late August we attended the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, WA. Every year the fair has a theme, and you can see this year's in the photo at the side.



The 4-H (Head, Heart, Hands, Health) animal exhibits are favorite attractions for us, though I always want to take home a small farm's worth of cute animals like the ducks (I love their soft squabble sounds) and dwarf goats. 


One of my favorite challenges is to find eggs in the chicken displays. We were treated to many different chicken breeds, and even fan-tailed pigeons, but the only egg we found was in the duck exhibits.

For over a decade my husband has enjoyed the International Lumberjack ShowAxe throwing, crosscut sawing, underhand chopping, tree climbing, springboard chopping, and log rolling are all part of the skills these men demonstrate.

No day at the fair is complete without a Fisher scone (no relation to me), for which the fair is famous. Spread with Fisher raspberry jam, it is delicious!



After we enjoyed a scone snack, it was off to the petting zoo! The animals are friendly, and eager for their snacks, too. In addition to the usual farm yard pigs, cows, goats, ducks, mules, and ponies, this year there were even a couple of small kangaroos sharing the tent.


Not going to make it to Area 51 this summer for the big storming event? Area 51 came to the fair this year! 



There is so much to see and so much fun to have. But at the end of the day, even the animals are a bit harried. 

Until next year!








2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun? You have some wonderful photos and memories! Living in Iowa, the Iowa State Fair is the diamond of this state. I've only been twice in the 38 yrs I've lived here, but they were incredible memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'd like to see that lumberjack contest one day.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...