Scent as a Writing Prompt ~ Jacquolyn McMurray

On Friday, I attempted to watch a webinar about marketing and promotion.  It was a three-hour class and I was quite certain I wouldn't be able to sit still for that long.  Since it was a replay (I'd missed the live webinar), I decided I should clean my desk as I listened.  I could wipe shelves and easily sort papers into two piles, right? 

Wrong.

Midway into cleaning.

To decide what I wanted to keep and what should go to the discard pile, I needed to read some journal entries, reread various conference notes, label some new file folders, and ...well, you get the picture.  The marketing webinar soon took a back seat to exploring years of notations, ideas, and false starts.

Part of what I read were notebook entries from last December when my local writing group decided to try our hand at teaching new writers how to "Jump Start" their writing.  We began with a couple of writing prompts from Natalie Goldberg's Wild Mind, then we wrote using smell as a stimuli. 

Did you know that smell tends to jog memories and stir emotions more than our other senses? 


Photo by Silviu Bocan on Unsplash
I remember the first time I did this writing exercise.  I was in a beginning writer class and the instructor lit a cigar and passed it around the table. One of the older women left the room sobbing. The instructor picked up the woman's pen and notepad and followed her from the room.  When our twenty minute timed writing was done, the red-eyed woman rejoined the group.  We were invited, if we desired, to share a paragraph or two.  The woman volunteered and read about her cigar smoking father who had been killed in World War II. Prompted by the smell of the cigar smoke, she was able to write an agonizing story about the day she found out he was dead. 



In December, my friend set out a variety of aromatic products to choose from. I chose lemon scented furniture polish. 



Somehow, through the magic of letting go and just writing, I discovered some things that I think will help me with my current WIP.



I wrote in poetry format.  Here’s a couple of lines from my wild mind, timed writing.

Dust particles cluster
and hide under couches,
crouch under chairs,
and taunt me when I pass.

Like old hurts,
I allow them to stay, undisturbed
and embrace the lessons they offer.

For me, rereading this was powerful because the heroine of my current WIP has suffered great personal losses and she needs to find her way to a new normal.  Who knew the scent of furniture polish could prompt me to explore her past hurts and how she can come to terms with them? 


Goldberg teaches us to kick out our internal editor, choose a place and time with no distractions, and keep the pen moving. No computers allowed because typing uses a different part of your brain. Twenty minute sprints tend to be quite telling.








I’m sure there are lots of aromas that remind you of something. Sometimes the memories are fleeting thoughts, lost in the next moment. For example, the scent of roses reminds me of my mother. But I have to wonder what I might discover if I smelled roses, shut out everything else, and just wrote with no preconceived plan. 



Photo by Debby Hudson on Unsplash
If you're a writer, and you are stuck, try a free write based on a scent and see if a snippet of truth emerges. 


And my desk?  After six hours I finished cleaning and am ready to put those notations to work for my heroine.



3 comments:

  1. It's interesting how our sense of smell transports us. By the way, your desk looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my WIP, I should go hangout in a barn and do some free writes. Who knows what I might discover?

      Delete
  2. How much of an appealing guide, keep on making better half buying essays online

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...