How I Came to be a Published Author ~ by Brenda Sparks

About ten years ago, I was driving to work one morning, and a scene popped into my head where two vampires were dueling it out in a bloody battle to the death. The winner’s reward?

The love of his long life.




That one scene morphed into others, which eventually created an entire story focusing on a group of vampires called the Alpha Council, who were the Special Forces of the vampiric world. One of the secondary characters piqued my interest and soon my imagination conjured up a second story featuring him.

I found myself wanting to share the world I created with others, hoping they would enjoy the characters as much as I did, so I put
my fingers to the keyboard and started typing. I never really thought, I’m going to be an author. The stories just kept coming, and I kept writing.


I spent a few years learning the craft before I submitted a short story to The Wild Rose Press. When they offered me a contract, I was shocked, ecstatic, and admittedly a little terrified. Since that time, I’ve published seven books with an eighth one, Alpha Revealed, to be released later this year.

While three of my books are stand-alone stories, the rest are part of the Alpha Council Chronicles series. The first book in the series, Alpha Mine, focuses on the leader of the Council, Stephan von Haas, as he and his fellow warriors confront an extraordinary destiny of peril, passion, and dark pleasures.

If you haven’t yet guessed, the genre I write is paranormal and
fantasy romance. I have always loved all things spooky and enjoy incorporating paranormal elements into my writing. I refuse to allow pesky human constraints to get in the way of telling the story. Luckily, the only thing limiting my stories is my imagination.


I meet a lot of people who tell me they have a story they would like to write. I always encourage them to do so. If you are one of those people, take a chance, write your story. 


My motto is: 

Without taking extraordinary risks, you will live an ordinary life. Follow your dreams, take the risk. You never know where life may take you.

Born in Virginia, Brenda Sparks now resides in the Sunshine State.
Balancing her professional commitment to the local school district with her writing is challenging at times, but writing suspenseful paranormal romances is a passion that won’t be denied. Her idea of a perfect day is one spent in front of a computer with a hot cup of coffee, her fingers flying over the keys to send her characters off on their latest adventure.  Brenda loves to connect with readers.  Please visit her online or stop by her website to say hi. 






4 comments:

  1. Wonderful having you as our guest today. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an honor to be here today, Grace. Thank you for inviting me to share my writing journey with your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda - I always love hearing the story of an author's journey to publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jacquolyn. I'm thrilled you dropped by and left a comment.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...