Through the Years Part 2 ~ by Grace Augustine

Last time we visited music through the years. Today, I thought it might be fun to take a look at kitchen gadgets.

Photo courtesy Pinterest
As early as I can remember Tupperware has been a staple in my home, and I'm sure in many others. These handy plastic storage containers, morphed into glasses, cereal holders, colanders, and even graters (which blew my mind at how plastic could grate anything!) Tupperware, which then patented, was invented, believe it or not, in 1946 by chemist, Earl Tupper. It certainly has gone through its share of aesthetic changes through the years. The one piece I still owned (from 1968) finally met its death a couple months ago.

Photo: cheapism.com
1954 saw the invention-by-mistake...Tefal...Teflon coated cooking pans, when French engineer, Marc Gregoire, had been using Teflon to remove glass fiber moulds. His wife suggested he try to fuse the chemical to aluminum pans...and voila...a new product was born. Domestic dishwashers also went on sale in many appliance shops in the 1950's.

Photo: ebay
The pressure cooker (you say "Say what?") was popular in the 60's. It was the to cook, and can (again, you say "What?") everything from meats to vegetables and fruits. Although this little gadget was first invented in 1679 by Frenchman and Physicist, Denis Papin, it wasn't a household item until the 1960's. The pressure cooker uses steam to raise the water's boiling point, therefore cooking food more quickly.

Photo: ebay
Put on your bell bottoms, love beads, and rose colored glasses. You're invited to a Fondue Party!!!!!! Fondue has its origin in Switzerland. Chef Konrad Egli introduced fondue at one of his Chalet restaurants and later developed chocolate fondue as a marketing tool for Toblerone chocolate.  

When you were done with the appetizers the fondue pot offered, you may feast on a meal that was made in a Crock Pot, one of several brands of slow cookers that hit the market. These wonderful gadgets are still used today because of convenience of one pot, hands-off cooking. You can put all of the ingredients into the ceramic 2-4 quart crock, turn the dial to low, medium, or high, and in 6-8 hrs have a complete meal. (Thank you 1970's.)

Photo: ebay (Amana microwave)
The 70's also gave us what every home now owns...the microwave oven. Raytheon, a company which had just acquired another company, Amana, (headquarters is 35 minutes from where I live) introduced the first home model, which cost around $500 (today's market would be over $3,200.) Over 40,000 units were sold in the 70's and today, it is a staple in households all over the world.

photo: ebay
Carl Sontheimer, an American engineer and inventor, tweaked an invention by Pierre Verdon, and the Cuisinart food processor was born. In the 1980's infomercials you could hear..."it slices, it dices...it julienne's and cuts French fries in under thirty seconds." Many variations of this gadget were made including the Vegematic and the Salad Shooter.

photo: ebay
The George Foreman grill, allowed many to become instant grill masters in the 1990's. The Lean, Mean Fat-Reducing Machine was a definite Christmas list item for many men and single women as the world became more health conscious. The automatic bread machines also made their debut in the 90's.




From 2000 to present there have been many gadgets that save our time in the kitchen: iRobot, Roomba, Juicers, Electric Steamers, Spiralizers, Air Fryers, and Coffee Capsule Machines to name a few. As technology advances, so do our appliances and gadgets

I wonder when we will have a Jetson vehicle? 

Photo: Pinterest/BryanSuperfreakMagnum


In case you missed Part 1 of my series, you can read it HERE







 

8 comments:

  1. I have not so fond memories of a certain Tupperware bowl (lol), I LOVED when my mom broke out the fondue pot, my father worked for Raytheon (as did I in my twenties)and I still remember those first microwaves, and I'm not sure I'd survive in the kitchen today with my Ninja Kitchen System. Great post, Grace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristine. The Amana Corporation has gone through many changes. It is now owned by Whirlpool. I know I couldn't get by without my ice shaver, microwave, spiralizer, .....

      Delete
  2. What a fun post! I was thinking on Friday about Buck Rogers in the 21st Century and how much we are not where they imagined! I do want a Jetson's vehicle, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, me too! It would be fun to kick that puppy into space mode and drive OVER the vehicles that are driving like they shouldn't.

      Delete
  3. I remember a fondue party where we cooked our meat and vegetables in hot oil, then dipped fruit in sizzling chocolate and woke up with something akin to hangovers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post, Grace. If we are going to go for a Jetson's vehicle, I'm thinking the touch pad auto meal machine would be pretty fabulous after a hard day at work! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...