Confessions of an October Baby ~ by Author Darlene Kuncytes

As we get ready to say goodbye to October, I’m hard pressed to let go of one of my favorite months.

Those of you who know me, know that I’m a die-hard summer girl. I love the sun and the water – but I am also a truly hard-core October baby, too! Lol

And it’s not just because I was born in October.

It’s because for me, a girl who loves all things scary, October is my Christmas!


I love that there are tons of scary movies on at any given time in October. Those are my jam and I love it! I love ghost shows and anything scary. (funny I turned out to be a romance writer, huh? 

 

I love the cool, breezy nights.

The fun begins on the 1st and continues until all the little ghouls and goblins are safely tucked into their beds after a hopefully prosperous night of trick or treating.

And it’s marvelous!

I will say that this year has been a strange one for us. I wasn’t sure if we should do the whole candy thing. Our city has been wishy-washy on if we were even going to have trick or treating, and that breaks my heart on so many levels. 

Some of my favorite memories of my childhood are Halloweens.
I loved dressing up and going out to collect all sorts of goodies, then sitting under a street lamp to see what we were willing to trade with some of the other neighborhood kids we met up with. 

A little 411 for you all - No one EVER wanted those awful pumpkin seeds that were white from all the salt on them and came in the red package. Yuck!

But it’s not only Halloween that makes October so amazing. It’s the entire feel of the month. The leaves are beginning to gain their color. The air gets that crispness to it that is perfect for fires and hobo pies or s'mores. 

I’m not going to lie. I’m going to miss October. Just as I’ll miss summer, because we all know what’s coming next for most of us.
That dreaded white stuff. The greyness of the world around us that we must deal with as well as everything else going on right now. At least until spring comes around again.

And it will! 

I wanted this blog post to hopefully inspire in a time that is trying for a lot of us. I know so many of us dread the upcoming cold.
So, this year, take a deep breath, and make a point of doing something in the next few months to bring light and color to the world around you. Something that will bring a small smile to your face when you look at it. 

I’m far from being crafty. WAY far from it. I mean, I’m the one who glues their fingers together! LOL

But this year I decorated my tables with fake white pumpkins and fake apples, and do you know what? They do make me smile when I see them, and they will proudly sit there through November, until the Christmas decorations come out.

I guess what I’m really trying to say is - this year above any other in for as long as I can remember, we really need to prepare ourselves for the months ahead. 

The holidays are upon us, and they will be different from any others we have ever experienced before, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t still make them amazing. 

Just like the way October starts the true beginning of fall and the holiday season with its glorious burst of color, we need to keep that magic going in the months ahead. 

We all could use it!

Stay safe and never, ever forget to enjoy the moment.
Kisses and pounce hugs!
Dar




Pictures courtesy of Google

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Dar. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halloween was such fun when I was a kid. I remember one of our neighbors made homemade popcorn balls. I loved those!

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...