In Anticipation of Spring ~ by Kristine Raymond

 
Though the calendar says it's January, days like today stir in me the hope for an early Spring.  The woods are still; bare branches stretching upwards towards an azure sky, their leaves dormant beneath the bark.  A songbird trills, its song piercing the stillness, its mate responding in kind from a nearby pine.




Wisteria vines, their blooms long since withered away and scattered like dried leaves on the wind, tangle and twist around the wrought iron fence, securing a hold against the fierce winds and bitter cold still to come.




 


And yet, mere feet away, a dandelion peeks out from among the shadows, basking in golden sunlight.



 


 

Though it's early afternoon, shadows fall long across the ground, striping the fallen leaves and dormant turf.  A chill passes through me as the sun slips below the treeline, a reminder that winter's grip is firm.  





The air stirs; a gentle breeze wafting across my cheek.  A kiss from the Universe, thanking me for my appreciation of her abundant beauty and granting Her assurance that Spring's not far away.


*Photos taken by Kristine Raymond on the afternoon of January 8, 2020.  



Copyright © 2020 - Images by Kristine Raymond - All Rights Reserved. 



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm happy I took time that day to sit outside in the sunshine and contemplate nicer weather.

      Delete
  2. Gosh, now I feel bad for wanting snow. I'm one of those peeps that enjoys the cold and ice and lots of snow, but your beautiful words made me long for spring as well. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I only want snow though December 31st. Then I'm ready for Spring!!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully written, Kristine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacquolyn. It was a pretty day. We don't have many this time of year.

      Delete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...