Promises, Promises ~ Jacquolyn McMurray


Here’s the deal. I’ve been teaching in the public school system for over twenty years and although I’m retired and only work part-time now, when summer break comes my body expects ice cream.

Photo by Brendan Church on Unsplash

I’m not talking about a little niggling in my brain that ice cream would taste good. No. I’m talking about a daily hammering that I deserve that rich creamy dessert because I work hard, and I’m convinced after years of spending time with my siblings that I’m hard-wired to crave the delectable treat.

The niggling has been in my brain for most of my life, but the hammering started around the end of the 2016-17 school year. That summer, I allowed myself one bowl of vanilla ice cream a day with chocolate syrup and almonds for protein.

I promised myself I’d eat more protein to balance the sugar, because when you have a sweet tooth you believe anything that makes you feel okay about eating so many sweets. If you have protein, the sugar doesn’t count. Right?


Photo by Allie Smith on Unsplash
At the end of the 2017-18 school year, I craved root beer floats. Determined to control my sweet tooth a bit better than the previous summer, I used a highball glass rather than a water glass to hold my treat.  The trouble was, I convinced myself I could have a second float in the late afternoon because I’d walked a few steps or completed a load of laundry or written some miniscule number of words.

I promised myself I’d exercise more--take walks, do more activities, burn those calories, invest in a standing desk, because then I could have as many root beer floats as my little heart desired.



Photo by Alexander Mils on Unsplash


At the end of last school year, I wanted it all—root beer floats, chocolate sundaes, and mixed berry milk shakes. So, I spent June and July enjoying as much ice cream as I wanted with the promise to myself that I would quit when school started back up.







Well, school started July 30 and the bucket of ice cream is almost gone. I’ve joined a gym and promised myself I’ll get those aerobic walks in this month. 

And when I can comfortably button my pants again, I’ll reward myself with a hot fudge sundae.


Photo by Jennifer Pallian on Unsplash

What foods do you crave?

5 comments:

  1. OH, my gosh! I so feel your pain! This summer I have craved nothing but ice cream. Not just any ice cream, coffee flavored Breyer's ice cream. Like you, I added cocoa covered almonds for protein! What a delicious treat! However, you have to pay the consequences of 5 lbs if you intend to indulge every day. I wish you the best at the gym!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the funniest thing to me that these cravings start at the end of the school year. I wonder what Freud would have thought?

      Delete
  2. I love this post! Ice cream has been a big craving this summer for me too! This week, a couple weeks into the new school year, I began to crave gyros ��! I found a recipe I can use to create the meat & sauce. Going to try it out tonight!

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...