For the Love of Cats ~ by Lisa Pellegrini

Ever since I was a college student, I've dreamt of becoming a writer. I remember writing my first story when I was twelve. It was about talking foxes who had strange names like Spirolite. It was only natural that I would write about animals, since I am an animal lover who has owned everything from goldfish to cats to a parakeet named Rocky (who I named after the movie).


So, when Carrie Wolfe, president of Cat Tales, offered me the chance to volunteer my time doing write-ups of the adoptable cats, I jumped at the chance to combine my love for writing with my love for cats. Cat Tales is a no-kill shelter in Warrington, Pennsylvania that rescues stray cats in Bucks County and finds them homes. 


Carrie said she needed a writer who could put a creative spin on the write-ups. So, I needed to include all the typical information -- age, sex, personality traits, etc. -- but in a way that tugs on the heartstrings of potential adopters. I needed to make the write-ups heartwarming so that when cat lovers saw the descriptions of the kitties on the Petfinder website, they would be anxious to visit the cats and spend time with them.

My heart goes out to the cats because so many of them have illnesses, which can make it difficult for them to find the right owner. Since I started volunteering in 2016, I have written about cats afflicted with FIV (feline AIDs), epilepsy, leukemia, diabetes, and asthma. One cat was found shot. Another needed to have an eye removed. It's so sad that animals have to suffer with disease and pain just like humans do. 


That's why I feel blessed and grateful for the opportunity to use my literary gifts to help the kitties find homes and ultimately better lives. I like to think that my words are like bursts of sunshine that help to connect the cats with people. I've always believed there is something unique about the bond between humans and animals. Pets bring so much joy into our lives. We consider them family members, friends, and confidantes. Whenever we have a bad day or we're just feeling blue, we cuddle up to our pets, and they heal our troubled hearts.

Take Chester for instance. He is a handsome 7-year-old black and

white cat with diabetes who needs insulin shots twice a day. He is also hard of hearing but not deaf. He is just starting to enter his senior years, and as we know, most people would rather adopt a kitten or young adult cat. So, it may be harder for a cat like Chester to find a good home. He will need a special owner who realizes that senior kitties are just as lovable and deserving of love as young cats. Someone who is willing and able to manage his diabetes treatment. 

That's where I come in. I help bridge the gap between cats like Chester and people who are committed to being the best owner possible. Thankfully many of the cats at Cat Tales are in perfect health. 

When I write about each cat, I sometimes find inspiration in their physical features and facial expressions. The way they sit or lie down. That's my way of tapping into each cat's unique personality.




I credit my mom for giving me my love for cats. She grew up loving them, and she passed that love down to me. Thank you, Mom!







Lisa Pellegrini

Lisa Pellegrini is a freelance writer who resides in Warrington, PA. Her poetry has appeared in The Lascaux Review, Foliate Oak Literary Magazine, Eunoia Review, REAL: Regarding Arts & Letters literary journal, and other publications. She is a 2015 Pushcart Prize nominee. She is currently working on her first novel.
You can connect with Lisa on  TWITTER 

4 comments:

  1. Lisa, your work with Cat Tales is so very important. Thank you for doing what you do. If I could, I'd have a houseful, but my 5 yr old feline would very much object to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo! May your words beguile loving pawrents everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A cat's claws are a vital part of their physical and psychological well-being. Many people do not realize that declawing a cat is inhumane, and a very unnecessary major surgical procedure which often leaves the declawed cat with physical and psychological problems that will last their lifetime. Cat shop online

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent Blog! I would like to thank for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. I wanted to thank you for this websites! Thanks for sharing. Great websites! womens pipes

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...