What's my plan to be kind to others? I started a list of things that cost nothing but time.
* Every week, call or set up a video chat with someone I haven't talked to in a long time--the elders I know who are in long term care, friends, and family. Although texting is a quick and easy way to communicate with others, it's not the same as hearing someone's voice.
* Every month send out a physical card/note/letter to one of our family members/friends who are in long term care facilities. Don't you still enjoy receiving an actual card?
And a special list for our writing tribe:
* Post/share other author’s releases and awards. Celebrate successes. We are in this together.
* Give thoughtful, constructive feedback to my writing partners through considerate language. We all have strengths and areas of growth, and a critique group can provide much needed support and encouragement. No matter where we are in our writing journey, we can benefit from the expertise of others. I know what it feels like to get flippant, nasty, remarks from a former writing partner. I hope I'm never that person.
* Write honest reviews, but think about how the review will be received. There is always something nice to say. :) Yes, we authors need thick skin, but I don't feel good about knocking down another author. If I can't comfortably rank a story at a 4 or 5, I'd rather not post a review.
How will you be kind to yourself in 2021? How will you be kind to others?