Slow Writer~ by Lexa Fisher



Photo by Esther Wechsler on Unsplash

I admit it, I'm a slow writer. Not monastically slow--making my own ink, stretching parchment, applying fine gold leaf to an illustration. But I've found my own pace and I don't apologize for it. No race to market here.

Being self-published, I'm on my own schedule -- not pressured to get the next book out, or to write another story in the same series. It's a pleasure having time to ponder nuances and add depth to a tale. It's a joy to linger over a plot or to craft characters I'd like to spend time with.

Photo by Mink Mingle on Unsplash
When I research background material, I don't feel guilty over the time I spend. Research creates a story with greater legitimacy and one that will hopefully keep the reader from disengaging because of inaccuracies. However, I am writing fiction so some diversion from reality must be allowed and adds a touch of magic. 

That said, I'm not a big name writer nor do I have a commercial publisher. I practice what I learn in classes, take note of what makes an impression on me in the books I read, and this week I've also enjoyed participating in a virtual writers' retreat. 


Photo by Jp Valery on Unsplash
Sure, faster, well-known writers make money. Speaking of money...no, I don't make money from writing -- far from it! But I enjoy the challenge of creating a story, refreshing and improving my knowledge of grammar, and especially working with a book cover designer. This week I learned that my Christmas book cover is a finalist in a contest!

Photo by Evan Dennis on Unsplash

What costs does a self-published author incur? Even on my low-budget schedule, each story goes to a development editor for a professional view of the plot, character arcs, inconsistencies, and just plain questions of what is going on here? After incorporating that feedback, a cleaned up copy goes to my copy editor for syntax and grammatical polish. 

How do I justify it? It's a self-challenge and a pursuit I enjoy. It sharpens my critical thinking skills by employing questions of what if?... Crafting fictional stories has made me a better student of human nature. Fiction writing also requires a lot of patience because there is no plot store where you shop for ideas. Eventually, like that yoga pose I finally conquer, my writing muscles will kick in and voila! -- characters, plot, and pacing will become second nature. 

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes our writing muses show us no mercy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny is that line not monastically slow? I enjoyed your post, Lexa. Keep writing at the pace you are most comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very much enjoyed reading this. It made me feel like I'm not alone in the writing world! I am also a ssslllloooowww writer. It takes an act of will not to compare myself to other authors, to feel intimidated by those who crank out books with the speed of a factory. Good for you for accepting who you are and how you work best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still cannot quite believe that I was able to often be any type of those staring at the important points located on your blog post. My loved ones and i are sincerely thankful for your special generosity too as for giving me possibility pursue our chosen profession path. Basically information I acquired within your web-site. Academic Writer

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...