On a Personal Note ~ by Lexa Fisher, Romance Writer and Today's Guest


 I love to make greeting cards. I have no skill for drawing or painting, but I find color so beautiful. Cards give me the chance to create scenes, add sparkle, and convey messages with nothing more than paper, scissors, and ink.

I first tried making cards ten years ago and had no success. Then a few years ago I saw cards a fellow writer was giving away and gave it another try. The first card class I took was making 20 unique Christmas cards in two and a half hours. Yes, this was my introduction to the craft!

Intense? Confusing? Steep learning curve? Beautiful results? Yes, yes, yes. I loved it.



Over the past few years I’ve taken many more classes and made good friends of the staff members at my local paper crafting store. I send cards to friends and family, tried an Etsy store for a while, and most recently donated cards for a charity fundraiser. I share my artwork with co-workers on easels my husband makes on his 3D printer.

Last year I made Christmas thank you cards using the paper that gifts were wrapped in. Each giver’s card was created from scraps of wrapping paper from the gift they had given me.


Far fewer people send cards any longer and it’s sad. We’re missing the experiences of opening the mailbox to find a handwritten note someone has selected just for us. Think about the time they’ve taken and the effort they went to, thinking about us the whole while. It’s a connection.


I’m not here to sell my cards; I’m not even going to mention my brand. What I want to do is remind us all to realize what joy we’re giving when we send our thoughts in a tangible form across the miles.


Lexa lives with her husband and spoiled little rescue cat in Seattle. Transplanted from Michigan decades ago she earned her BA at the University of Washington where she now works as an IT construction project manager. After a nightly workout she pursues romance writing and crafting greeting cards. 

Lexa writes seasoned romance—romance between characters who are over forty. Her characters value integrity in a partner and a relationship founded on trust. Gratitude and thanks are predominant themes in her cards, and sparkle is always an element in her designs.

If she had to depend on her green thumb she wouldn’t survive a year, but for some inexplicable reason year after year she tries to grow edible plants.

You can find Lexa here:

Twitter
Email



5 comments:

  1. Welcome to ObD! Your cards are simply beautiful! This is one craft I've not had the patience to even try. I love receiving handwritten notes as much as I love sending them. Thank you for the reminder that it is a wonderful way to communicate with our loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, Lexa! Your cards are wonderful and each so unique and special. Thank you for joining us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your cards! You are right receiving a card is an absolute joy! Giving them is just as much fun I think. I don't have a talent for making then either but I enjoy buying them and giving them away. Thank you for being here today I enjoyed meeting you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning! Absolutely stunning!! Thanks for sharing your craft <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few of Lexa's cards and recently gave a couple to friends for their birthdays. It was such a joy to watch them admire the homemade cards. And yes, giving and receiving cards in the mail is such a joy!

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...