What Are You Thankful For? ~ by Shannon Binegar-Foster


As I begin to reflect on the year, I find myself reminiscing on the things I am thankful for. Many people do this daily and often list 3-5 things each day. I am just not good at that. I might come up with a different list for a couple of days but by the 3rd day, I most often have run out of things to list. 

I am sure I am not alone in saying how much easier this task is when things are going well for us. I find that when things are not going well, or we are struggling financially I have a very hard time completing that list. 


Each year I pick a word for the year. For 2018 I chose “Limitless." I was so excited and hopeful. I launched some new products in February which were not as successful as I had hoped. I published my second book in April. I am currently finishing my third book. I have begun the time of a craft/vendor show every weekend from 11/11 through 12/15. Has my year been “Limitless,” not exactly. I had so many hopes for this year that were squashed by dismal sales. 


So when I sat down to begin to think of what I was thankful for this year the list is very short. As a 12-year Uterine Cancer survivor, I am always thankful for my health, even though arthritis keeps me from doing so many things. I know I could have it far worse. First and foremost I am thankful for my husband. He does so much for me I can’t even begin to put into words my gratitude for him. I have a great family and wonderful friends. I am grateful that I am able to brighten someone’s day with my art. My art is my happy place. That and the pool at the YW. 


So, there it is my very short list for the year. Five things. I encourage you to take the next few weeks and reflect on what you are thankful for. I will be taking the next few weeks to pick my word for 2019 and hoping I find many more things to be thankful for next year. 


11 comments:

  1. Shannon - Love the idea of one powerful word to anchor us in a new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to implement this on January 1st. A great idea!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea, Shannon! A single word that grounds us. I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I had to pick a word for 2018, it would have to be Hope. Like you, life has tried to serve us a lot of lemons this year and the lemonade has tried to drown us a few times. But every time we are down, we get back up because each new day is a filled with Hope, regardless of whether it is recognized or not. I like this idea of a single word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda great word choice. I am still contemplating my word for 2019. Let’s hope it is a better year for all.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Easter 2024

      Easter seemed to be early this year, so I checked the earliest and latest dates it can fall, which can be anywhere from March 22 to Ap...