Thanksgiving ~ by Grace Augustine

         
Photo: Wikipedia


In 1621, the Plymouth colonists and Wampanoag Indians shared an autumn harvest feast that is acknowledged today as one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations in the colonies. For more than two centuries, days of thanksgiving were celebrated by individual colonies and states.

Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day, is a public holiday celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November in the United States. It has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, after Congress requested a proclamation by George Washington.

Photo: PinehurstResort

Long thought of as a celebration of harvest, in today's society it means different things to different people. To some, it is a four-day weekend. For others, it is the beginning of the holiday season--family gatherings, good food, football, and laughter. While others brave the crowds for the best shopping deals on Black Friday through the weekend.

Photo: WholeFoods

For me, it's all about the turkey, cranberries, and pumpkin pie! (Along with being grateful for all life blessings.)  And, what is Thanksgiving without a new recipe?  Below is one I found that seems like it could find its way to my oven this year...courtesy of Food Network. Click the underlined link and be taken to the recipe.


Photo: FoodNetwork





 From all of us here at Originality by Design, we wish all of you a very wonderful Thanksgiving!




5 comments:

  1. This reminds me that a few decades ago, when I worked for a German owned company, I invited a work associate to join my family for Thanksgiving, knowing she had no family in the area to spend the holidays with. I don't know why, but it never entered my mind that Thanksgiving would be a completely new concept to her. It was fun getting to explain it to her and to share with her something new.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...