It’s a Circus Out There! Which social media sites should I try? By Joanne Jaytanie




Are you one of those people on the pulse of the newest social media site? It seems like every day there is something new coming out.  I’ve signed up on sites such as MeWe and Alignable. I’ve looked at the sites – but I’ll likely never use them, especially if they want me to pay for connections. 

And let’s not forget, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Quora, Snapchat, LinkedIn – just to name a few. My gosh, the list goes on and on. WhatsApp – what’s that? Google+- it’s still hanging on? Reddit – I have no idea. You could spend your entire day and night wading through the bottomless depths of the monstrosity known as social media.



What should you do? Ignore it and hope it will all go away? Become an expert on every media app? Not me. I consider myself techie-less. I’ve come a long way from not knowing how to turn on a computer, but I’ll never be an expert. 

Even so, I am an author, and the computer is my workplace. I’ve found my best strategy is to work with a core of social media apps. Meaning I limit myself to a few choices and try to get a handle on just those apps. Some I enjoy spending time on. Others I get on, get what I need done, and get off. Of course, there’s a downside to spending time on the apps I enjoy – I tend to spend too much time. Every bright shiny picture pulls me in. Every new recipe, how-to, repurposing, new releases—call my name. Have you guessed which app – Pinterest! It can suck you in for hours. It can also be a great place to find new followers and sales.




Pinterest is where people go for inspiration, new ideas, and new purchases. Over 70% of Pinterest users are women. Approximately 90% try new things that they discover on the site. Nearly half of all Pinners use the platform for purchases or to plan purchases, both large and small. 

Pinterest is also a great place to do research. I set up a new board for each book I write. I have even used my boards as storyboards for my WIP. 


Things are happening on Pinterest. Over 80% of the users are on a mobile device. Therefore the layout of your pins should accommodate this format. That will get you the most views. I have been testing animated pins and find that they do get more interaction. 

Currently, the top categories for pins in the United States are ~ Art, Art Supplies, and hobbies. Seventy plus percent of weekly Pinners have discovered new products and brands on the site.
One of them could be you!



6 comments:

  1. As you know, I am way less techie than you, but I do love to look at Pinterest. The range of topics can pull me in for long periods of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s one of my favorites. You can always find new ideas.

      Delete
  2. Wow i can say that this is another great article as expected of this blog.Bookmarked this site.. Buy Instagram likes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am incapable of reading articles online very often, but I’m happy I did today. It is very well written, and your points are well-expressed. I request you warmly, please, don’t ever stop writing. increase da

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. how to do affiliate marketing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job here on. I read a lot of blog posts, but I never heard a topic like this. I Love this topic you made about the blogger's bucket list. Very resourceful. شراء متابعين انستقرام

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...