Recipe of the Month ~ by Grace Augustine

So, it's two days before the BIG day. Two days before you must
deposit photos
have those cookies on the plate for Santa. Two days before family and friends arrive. Two days of cleaning, decorating, and BAKING!


If you're like me, I always leave the latter for last. When I was in my 30's I looked forward to this time of year. I'd put plates of goodies together for neighbors, my mechanic, the mail people, just about anyone in my life I wanted to thank for their help and service throughout the year.

deposit photos
Over the past 40 years, I've gathered many tried and true traditional goodies. I'm sure you all have your family favorites, too. Whether it is Grandma's Gingerbread, Aunt Nellie's Snowballs, or Pete's Tom and Jerry mix, we all bring our best when it comes to Christmas treats.

One of my favorites to bake is cranberry nut bread--so convenient to put in the baby loaf pans, wrap in plastic, choose a fancy ribbon and tie a bow. The recipe is below.

deposit photos

Remember to take time for yourself, put on some holiday tunes and sing-a-long, but most of all  remember the reason for this season. From my home to yours, I wish you many blessings. See you in 2020

Merry Christmas!

Cranberry Nut Bread

2-1/2 C non-self-rising flour
1 C granulated sugar
3-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp grated orange peel
3Tbsp cooking oil
1/2 C milk
3/4 C orange juice
1 egg
1 C finely chopped walnuts 
1 C chopped fresh cranberries

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease and flour a 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pan or two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2, or 4-6 baby loaf pans.
3. Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl.
4. Beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
5. Pour into pans.
6. Bake for 55 to 65 min. or until inserted wooden pick in center comes out clean.
7. Cool 5 min. before removing from pans to cooling rack.
8. Cool thoroughly before serving.

VARIATIONS:
Date Nut Bread: Omit orange peel, orange juice, and cranberries. Increase milk to 1-1/4 C. and add 1 C. chopped dates.
Apricot Nut Bread: Substitute apricots for cranberries.


2 comments:

  1. Prepping the Santa plate is one of the traditions I love! Here's to a merry holiday, Grace.

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...