Comfort Items ~ by Jacquolyn McMurray

Photo by Eva Darron on Unsplash
Because I live across the ocean from most of my family and many of my friends, plane tickets are a big part of our family budget. 





In the past twelve months, I've boarded flights from Kailua-Kona to the continental U.S. five times. Most of my flights are to Seattle, Washington. Inflight time is about five and a half hours and the return flight is longer due to headwinds--not extremely long, but long enough to warrant some thoughtful selections for my carry-on. One of my friends refers to these as comfort items. 


At the top of my list is my Kindle.  It's always loaded with several unread books, a few games, and a couple of downloaded movies. As long as I have my charger, I'm good to go. One of my favorite things is the number of writing craft books I have at my fingertips at all times.













I've tried a variety of pillows and have settled on these two: a self inflating lumbar pillow and a neck pillow that typically ends up cushioning my elbow.








I always take a hoodie with a zipper. I like that I can pull up the hood if cold air is creeping down my neck.  





A variety of products to keep hands clean and eyes and lips moist are nestled in a ziplock.  



 



And I always have some gluten-free snacks. 

What do you consider comfort items when you travel?


8 comments:

  1. It is a good idea to take snacks now and other things to occupy your time. I'm not sure I could fly any more because of mobility issues of getting in and out of the seats. I love the pillows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knew when I was a kid growing up in the Midwest that I would fly as much as I do. I'm so fortunate to be able to manage the travel.

      Delete
  2. I'm flying to New York next week and this post gave me some great ideas on what to pack. Thank you Jacquolyn for the suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time at nationals, Debby. Enjoy your flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, Jacquolyn. You are the pro-flyer that's for sure. Can't wait until October!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always take water, which I now have to buy, of course, due to Homeland Security. Besides the well known caveat of staying hydrated, you might just need to swallow a pill and you never know when the beverage cart will get there. [And aren't kindles great? Lugging around books can get really heavy!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Ruth. I need to make sure I have a water bottle. I'll add to my list.

      Delete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...