MS Research Needs Your Help ~ by Grace Augustine

   
 Every day one or more persons worldwide are diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. Currently there are more than one million people in the United States alone battling this autoimmune disease.
     March is National Multiple Sclerosis Awareness month. If you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you see a daily post--an MS Fact--that you may or may not know. Bringing awareness to the general public of this disease helps everyone understand what those who are stricken go through daily.
     Some of you may ask: How can I help? Here are several ways.
     1. AWARENESS—Learn as much as you can about what this disease is and how it affects those who have it.
     2. EDUCATE—Once you learn, educate others. To quote an old children’s television program (G.I. Joe) “Knowing is Half the Battle.” If you know something it seems less frightening.
     3. GET INVOLVED—There are several ways you can do that.
            a. Visit a local MS chapter meeting
            b. Attend a fundraiser
       
    c. Participate in WALK MS or BIKE MS to raise awareness
    d. Support your friends and family by checking in with them
    e. Put yourself out there as an advocate. Don’t be afraid to stand up or speak up for someone you love who has MS
            f. Attend The Little Black Dress event (sometimes it is a dinner and wine tasting)
            g. Ask if you can attend seminars with your friends/family to become better educated
            h.  Support your friends and family who participate in walks or other events to raise funding for research
             i. Remember the NMSS and State level research departments in your financial plan
     On May 4th, I will be participating in my 2nd WALK MS event here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. I would love to have you walk with me if you are in the area. And if you can’t, I ask that you please consider helping me reach my goal this year by giving financially to support research.    
     Every penny counts. No amount is too small. Please, click  MY PAGE and join my team WALKING WITH GRACE. You may register as a walker by my side, or as a virtual walker, and the NMSS.org site is a safe site for donations.
     
Last year, my friends, family, and Rexco Equipment, who put change jars at each of their locations, helped me exceed my my goal by raising over $1000. I walked the first two blocks before I had to sit in the wheelchair and be pushed to within the last two blocks. I walked across the finish line. It was a personal victory and one I hope to do again this year.
     Thanking you in advance for your love, encouragement and support the past sixteen years. Through research, let’s find how we can cure this autoimmune disease. By doing so, it may open the doors to finding cures for other diseases that fall into the autoimmune category. 
    With a grateful heart I always remain,

              Walking with Grace

To learn more about Multiple Sclerosis, please visit NMSS.org

Photos courtesy of NMSS.org

2 comments:

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...