Swagalicious, Baby ~ by Andi Lawrencovna



Hi! My name is Andi, and I have a small, little itsy-bitsy problem…craft supplies.  Namely, I buy them…a lot of them.

Ever since I was a little girl, I have had a thing for crafting, mainly beads, but oh, that has gone so much further as an adult.

Except, “as an adult,” there are five hundred other things that need to get done beyond sitting down cross-legged on the floor, a giant pile of string, scissors, beads, catches, crimps, plyers, hot glue, maybe some fabric, gotta have the scrapbook paper, let’s not talk about pens, and…uhm…right…Time.

As an adult, there is not a lot of time left after all our other responsibilities, to craft.

EXCEPT NOW!

     There is this wonderful thing called “swag” that I had never heard about before I started writing. I mean, I’d heard the term before, but had no idea what it was referring to in the literary world.

     Bookmarks. Pens. Notebooks. Keychains…keychains you say? As in, put them together and craft them up?
     Swag…is awesome! 
     And, if you’re willing to put in some of that extra hard fought for time, it can be pretty fun to make for yourself too, fulfilling both your need to get crafty, and to be productive at the same time!
     Here are just a few basic things I’ve learned about crafting keychains for book swag.

What you will need:

1. Key rings
2. Cabochons
3. Pliers
4. Double sided tape
5. Scissors
6. Photos of your book covers (for authors making swag) or pictures that you would like to make into keychains, for those just wanting to have a little bit of fun crafting!
Step One: Purchasing your supplies

    Now, for those wanting to make only a few pieces of swag, you can to go most craft stores (I frequent Michaels, Pat Catans, and Jo Ann Fabrics in my area) where they will sell Cabochon settings. A cabochon setting is essentially a back piece upon which the cabochon rests. If you’ve done crafting before or are a fan of crafted projects, you might have seen some of these in your adventures. You can do a ton with cabochons, not just keychains but pendants and charms as well. (See picture for ideas!) 

The cabochon itself is the top piece that goes, you guessed it, on top of the setting. For book cover key chains, I use a clear glass cabochon, usually beveled, that fits into the setting that I’ve chosen. If you are purchasing small quantities of these, the craft stores will usually sell them as sets, both the setting and the cap together in one pack. To try out your hand at making them, I suggest going small first, and then moving to bulk!

Step Two: Sizing
     Now, you do have to know your measurements for the cabochon size. It’s not enough to size something to a rectangle, but you have to actually know the measurements, the good news is, those will generally be on the packaging. I like to use Photoshop to scale my images, or CorelDraw. Using Microsoft will probably work, but keep in mind that a lot of time, especially when doing pictures, you’re looking for quality of the pictures (the pixels of them) and Microsoft isn’t as precise about that as photoshopping programs.

Step Three: Creation!
     So, here’s where I go cheap and time efficient. Now, there are probably better ways of doing this than my way, and if I went to a craft store, or if you do, I’m sure someone will tell you the better way of doing it. Namely enamel or whatever and yadda yadda and I just don’t have time for that!
     So…I cheat.
     Shhhh! Don’t tell. But, if you use Scotch (and seriously, it has to be Scotch) double sided tape, it’ll work great. Start by peeling a piece of tape about half an inch longer on both sides than your cabochon (the glass part!). So if it’s is a one square in cabochon, you want a two inch piece of tape. Center the tape ON THE GLASS part. Take your picture, sized to fit that glass part, and place it on the glass. Fold the extra layers of tape over the back of it, trying to keep your touching of it minimal so it sticks better.
     Now, you have the setting, put the glass in the setting and press down…hard.
     That’s it…
     No, seriously, you literally just made a keychain cabochon. I
mean, you might need to use a jump ring (tiny circle that you can use plyers to open and thread the cabochon and the keyring through and then close up with the same plyers) to finish it all off, but seriously, the hard part is the cutting and the taping.
     No lie.
     It’s that easy.
     It takes practice to make them fit perfectly, and sometimes you might need a bit more tape, or scissors to trim down the edges, but, press down and hold a couple of times, and bingo-bango, you’ve got yourself a keychain!
     Not only that, but you’ve also just crafted, while doing something relevant, like creating swag, so, especially for other writers who know the pressure of being in front of a keyboard, you can tell yourself: I am working…even if it isn’t on the page!

     The best part of about this project is that you can do it with friends and kids and pretty much everyone. Seriously, the hardest part is cutting the pictures out. (Get your kids involved, it’ll be fun!) Not a lot of mess, not a lot of cleanup, and not as much time as those intricately beaded bracelets that I always watch videos on the internet of how to create but can never actually figure out when I try to do it myself.
     If you get stuck, the best thing is, you can always ask for help.
I’ve done it before, and I’ve figured out the measurements for the picture sizes and so forth (at least for the 18mm x 25mm cabochons that I use…yeah, it’s sad, because I remembered that number without having to look it up.). But, if you have any questions, or want to know the best places to buy supplies, I have lists (Oh Boy do I have lists!) with all that information calculated on them.
     The biggest thing though is that you have fun. That’s what crafting is all about, a release of energy that is enjoyable and yields a product you can be proud of or at least smile about.
     Oh! And I almost forgot! Though I use those crafty cabochons for keychains, they also work GREAT for pendants on necklaces or (the smaller ones) for charms on bracelets! And, guess what, it’s all pretty much the same process!
     I’m not gonna lie…I still have WAY too many crafting supplies
at home, but at least I can say I’m using them for a real good purpose now! Though I tend to keep more keychains than I give away as swag…
     Oh well, I had to start somewhere, I guess!
     I wonder what else I can make!?!?
     What have you put your crafting skills to?!?!
 
Photo credits: meadowpaperco on Etsy, AngelaDIYJewelry on Etsy, and craftedbyMei.blogspot.com.

Andi Lawrencovna is a fantasy and science fiction writer from Ohio. Her most recent books, A Charming Series, the first in her Never Lands Saga, is a re-envisioning of Cinderella with a darker twist. Andi works closely with WriteNow Publishing though maintains her independent authorship. She currently has three novels and two short story to her name, and her next novel, So Sweet, will be out later this year. So Sweet is a tale as old as time, whose characters are as equally ancient and waiting to be released. Happily-Ever-Afters have never been bleaker, though Andi promises there’s always hope for rainbows and unicorns in The Never Lands. 

Andi currently resides in Northeast Ohio with her dog and an imagination that has gotten her into more trouble than not. Her education includes a BA in English from Denison University and an MFA in Creative Writing from Pine Manor College. She works as a legal secretary during the day and removes her glasses at night…wrong genre.  You can contact Andi by clicking on the links below.



4 comments:

  1. What a great post and awesome way to explain swag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it!! And SO helpful for authors who want to make their own swag!! Thanks for the 411!! GREAT post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love love love craft supplies!! In my opinion, you can never have too many! (The multiple shelves filled with beads, ribbon, charms, and other accessories can attest!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was looking at some of your posts on this website and I conceive this web site is really instructive! Keep putting up.. https://foodkeychains.com/

    ReplyDelete

Sometimes Life Does Imitate Art

  The book I’m currently working on features a protagonist who is an assistant manager at a food bank. The idea came to me because I love vo...